From:
"Elysse R. Paige" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elysse R. Paige
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:45:46 -0700

A few weeks back I asked for recommendations for restaurants in Calistoga
or the Napa Valley in California. I received the following recommendations:

Bistro Don Giovanni, Napa -Great roasted salmon, chicken, vegetables,
mashed potatoes.
Same menu/owners at Scala's in the Sir Francisco Drake Hotel, San Francisco.

Bistro Jeanty, Yountville - Ambiance is very Parisian, lots of butter on
everything.

Bouchon, Yountville - French bistro food, basic chicken, fish, veggies

Catahoula, Calistoga - Don't remember the fun, Cajun menu, but very
accommodating

Tra Vigne in St. Helena (next town to Calistoga; 5-10 minute drive) is
really good. Beautiful restaurant, great Italian food....lovely grilled
fish, risotto, etc. got 3 thumbs up. The founder/head chef, Michael
Chiarello, has a cooking/style show on PBS.  They make all of their sauces,
ice creams, everything, there, so they know all of the ingredients. I had
the risotto, which was wonderful, a gf soup for the appetizer and ice
cream. The only complaint was that their "flourless" chocolate cake is
actually a wheat tart with a flourless filling.

I didn't make it to any of these restaurants. I did make it to the
Calistoga Inn and Brewery and had an excellent dinner there. They use all
fresh ingredients and all sauces and dressings are made from scratch. They
were happy to put my bread on some aluminum foil under the broiler. I
highly recommend this establishment, great atmosphere including outdoor
eating. Dinner averaged about $30 per person all told.

I also wanted to respond to the following statement (my original message
stated that we are fish and vegetable people :

If you (are) fish and vegetable people why not take a portable grill with
you and fix your own as opposed to letting someone else make you sick.
Realizing that accidental exposure is increasing your chances of cancer,
lymphoma, etc., etc. Then again some people smoke cigarettes too.

I am highly offended by this statement. It was unsolicited,  judgmental,
rude, and insensitive. The purpose of this forum is to share information
and education, provide support, and minimize the sense of social isolation
and stigma we often deal with. It should be the one place where people
should not be afraid to ask for help and suggestions.  I am very concerned
that newly diagnosed celiacs as well as those who are in the middle of a
debilitating flare up and who desperately need the benefit of the
experiences of old timers will be put off and intimidated by such
unsolicited remarks and feel they have no safe place to go.  In the end,
every celiac will determine what works best for himself as an individual.
And each of us should respect those decisions.

Elysse