From:
Ronan Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:13:15 +0100

I felt I had to respond to what Kris in wichita, ks wrote:

>I think it all boils down to using common sense and listening to your own
>body and its reactions.  If it bothers you, don't eat it!  If it doesn't,
>you make your own choice.  The one thing about CD is that it is a self
>monitering illness.  We have total control over what we do and do not
>consume.  Let's quit putting the responsibility on others and lists and
>start taking charge of our own health and well being.

The above philosophy may be fine for people who have immediate and obvious
reactions after gluten ingestion, but it is important to remember that many
of us (myself included) do not, having instead slower symptoms like anaemia
etc.  It is essential therefore that full, accurate and clear information is
available in order for us to make decisions as to whether particular food
ingredients are safe or not.

I'm looking at this CSA/grains discussion as a sort of neutral observer as I
don't live in the US, but I think what Gayle and Scott Adams wrote makes a
lot of sense especially in the light of what I've said above.

Liz (Ward), Dublin, Ireland