From:
Diane Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:27:20 -0500

Hi, Listmates,

I have a newly dxed celiac friend who needs info for Graves disease.  Her
doctors want to do irradiate her thyroid and, from my understanding, this
would completely destroy it.  She is only 22 yo and a new mother.  She met
an herbalist who says she doesn’t need to go thru the radiation treatment.
But Sharon (my friend) is conflicted by who to believe.  She’d like to
trust the doctor, I think, but has some reservations.  Right now the doc
has her on prednisone and she is experiencing substantial facial swelling,
etc.  Her eye doctor is upset that she is on prednisone and wants to put
shots in her eyes. (UGH!)

I have checked the archives for her and sent her the info that I have
found, however, anything new would be appreciated.  I found only a little
info on the archives, tho I am sure there should be more there.  What I did
find, however, was 2 posts indicating that graves disease may “go away”
after being on the gf diet!  Is this true???  Does anyone have research
info indicating what course should be followed in Graves Disease treatment?

Okay, all you celiacs out there who had/have Graves disease: please come to
poor Sharon’s rescue!

Thanks in advance for your help.  She and I appreciate it.  I will
summarize.
Diane