From:
"Nancy E. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:21:03 -0500

Health Valley makes several flavors of a product they call Crisp Rice Bars,
which they label as gluten free. According to their product rep, with whom
I talked today, the bars are not made on a dedicated line, but the
equipment is cleaned thoroughly before a run of the GF bars, and no
gluten-containing products are made in the same room at that time. The rep
also said that, according to their supplier, the rice syrup in the product
is made without malt enzymes and is GF.

I had eaten these bars without noticeable ill effect until Saturday, when a
member of Mike Jones' support group informed me that Mike has told his
group the bars cannot be trusted. Mike, can you enlighten us on your
evidence? Have any of you ultra-sensitive folks had reactions to these?
These bars are such a handy snack food that many of us may be eating them
frequently, and it would be helpful to know if we should raise our level of
concern about their safety.

Nancy Ewald Jackson, Ph.D.
Professor, Educational Psychology
College of Education, 361 Lindquist Ctr. N.
University of Iowa,Iowa City, IA 52242 USA
Phone: 319-335-5571     FAX: 319-335-5386
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>