From:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:59:45 -0800

Hello,

And many thanks to the people who replied to my inquiry about GF eating in the San Diego area.  I was traveling with a non-celiac adult.  Overall it was a good trip for eating.  I was sorry we did not make it to some of the more specialty places people suggested.

What we did:
Twice we ate at well known chains for convenience--once at Chipotle, once at PF Chang.  These were as expected.
We stopped at a neat little Mexican restaurant in Rowena CA, that was super!  I regret that I cannot find the credit card slip to tell you the name. Warm friendly service, and while the server was not familiar with celiac he read my triumph card carefully, made suggestions on modifying my choices and brought me a most delicious dinner of cheese enchiladas and a tamale.  It had a homemade authentic taste.  Soooo good!
We ate one late lunch- early dinner at the San Diego zoo.  Quick, low price meals did not seem possible for many allergies.  However, Alberts restuarant did have a gf menu.  The service was slow, but the mushroom risotto was delicious.
Another great lunch was pizza at Leucadia Pizza in Encinitas.  We found it on the GF near me ap.  I was worried about the disclaimer on  the menu, but the server reassured us that our pizza would be protected with foil.  The pizza was delicious and I have no ill effects.

My only food complaint was the complimentary breakfast at the Comfort Inn and Suites on Hotel circle in San Diego.  This breakfast was terrible from a GF perspective. The staff was over worked on a very basic level, and was really clueless about ingredients.  I ended up going to whole foods and buying cereal.  They were unable to accommodate me at the hotel, and not even a little sorry about it.  I have had better experiences with other Comfort Inns in the past, but I strongly recommend against counting on GF breakfast at this one, unless you are a very light eater.

Several people recommended this great website:
Check out "glutenfreeinsd.com".  It lists restaurants by areas that offer gluten-free menus.

Other suggestions we did not get to try this time:

Def. go to TRUE FOODS-a favorite. (also in Scottsdale)
If you like BBQ- there is a "famous" place, Phil's BBQ, Very casual, always crowded place. No reservations-you order at a counter and they find you seats and bring your food.  Fries were safe, too. Just mention celiac/gluten and they will detail what meats and sauces you can have.
Red robin, Olive Garden, CPK or BJ's  Brew House has a great selection.  25 minutes from Sea World, 2Good2B or Healthy Creations in Encinitas are both excellent and both dedicated gf.

Thank you again for all the suggestions!  I will have to go back again for more sunshine and good food!

Melinda Freckleton, DVM
Catlett, VA

Sent from my iPad