From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2015 16:10:51 -0400

Lots of folks commented on my post about the holes in Udi’s bread loaves. Some suggested I contact Udi’s (I did already) and/or take the loaves back to the grocery where I bought them (easier if you live in town but it’s a 2-3 hour drive for me). Some offered alternatives to sliced bread, many of which we already do (rice papers, tortillas, lettuce wraps, or simple roll-ups, etc.) but once in a while you just want a sandwich (pb&j is hard as a roll-up…LOL). And if you pack a lunch for your school-aged children, you know a sandwich is an easy, filling and healthy (if you use the right ingredients) meal. Once in a while I make my own bread but it tends to fare worse than the store-bought versions and this is from an experienced breadmaker before my son’s Celiac diagnosis. A few of you asked to hear any recommendations for sliced bread that did NOT have holes so here’s what I got. Thanks to all who responded with their faves.  (I’m posting whole comments instead of just a summarized list in case Udi’s is watching.)

For what’s it’s worth, so far our favorite is Canyon Bakehouse sliced bread and hamburger buns, Schar’s cibatta rolls, and Schar’s baquettes (makes excellent garlic bread), and Glutino’s English muffins. I think I’ll give Kinnikinnick a try when I find their loaves. Here's what y'all said:

*****
See if anybody carries Glutino bread in your area.  They make both a white and a whole grain sandwich bread that is the absolute BEST! Largest hole I've ever found is about the size of a dime, and usually it is very smooth-grained with no holes at all.  Softer and more pliable than Udi's, but more even-grained than Canyon Bakehouse, which is why no holes.  It's also in the frozen case, and is very light in feel, but never gets "gummy" like Canyon Bakehouse sometimes does.  It doesn't even require toasting, tho I usually do just because it benefits from it.

*****
I've had the same issue. I stopped buying it. I now get kinnikinnick bread and hamburger and hot dog buns. They are awesome. I get them at kroger. And they aren't thick like udis.

*****
We have had that problem with some gf breads too. Don't recall the brand. But we have made bread pudding with them as well the ends that my kids won't eat. I don't know if you have an Aldi's near you but they have an excellent gf bread. I think it's called LiveGFree. It is soft...the best gf bread by far.

******
That's why I am a loyal Rudis fan.  Gave up on Udis long ago.

******
I bought a loaf of Udi's white bread the other day at our Publix. A few slices with sizeable holes, but mostly I think it is like cardboard. I usually order Kinnickinnik white bread out of Canada. It is truly soft, but it often has the holes issue you describe. Want to hear recommendations of a brand without them.

******
Yes I have had the same problem with the past 3 loaves so I started buying 3 bakers bread instead,about a dollar more a loaf but never had a problem with them.

*****

I've had ongoing problems getting their "holey" bread too. We switched to Rudi's and like their bread much better. Not as dry and never "holey."  Udi's is our fav bagel. I will have to look for Canyon Bakehouse to try.

*****
I had the same problem with Udi's and considered them over marketed.  I prefer ordering Kinnikinnick's new soft bread line (or my own homemade).

*****
Udi's sold out to Smart Foods and the quality has went down hill for quantity.  They are into servicing restaurants first.

******
I've had this problem with the regular udis too. It's upsetting because you never know which dice you'll roll. Have you had the opportunity to try their "Florence street bakery" loaf? I've not had the problems with that loaf with the holes. Of course, maybe I'm just getting lucky?

*******
I have had the same problem multiple times - so just stopped purchasing their bread.  My personal favorite is Schar's - particularly the deli style….

******
My favorite is Dr. schaar