From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2013 09:16:50 -0500

This is from the Underground Health Reporter newsletter in my inbox today.
Be careful about the soba noodles mentioned at the end as most have wheat in
them and those that do not are hard to find and very expensive.  I like
buckwheat groats for breakfast which I find readily available in the grocery
store but bear in mind that they may go by the name "kasha."  The only
trouble with buckwheat groats is that I run out too quickly.  I'm glad that
this came today so I can add them to my shopping list!

Merry Christmas to all!

Mary in upstate NY

Did You Know...

... that buckwheat is not wheat at all, contains no gluten, and is
considered one of the world's healthiest foods?

     Looking for a healthier, gluten-free alternative to rice and oats?
Buckwheat has a grain-like consistency, but isn't a grain at all.  It's
actually a fruit seed... and because it contains no wheat or gluten, it's
perfect for the gluten sensitive!  Buckwheat has an impressive nutritional
profile-full of magnesium, protein, copper, tryptophan, fiber, and all eight
essential amino acids, it's the perfect nutty taste to satisfy cravings and
satiate hunger.

Heart Health

Replacing that bowl of oatmeal with a bowl of buckwheat groats topped with
berries is a heart healthy move.  Numerous studies have shown that buckwheat
lowers LDL cholesterol (LDL cholesterol is the harmful type of cholesterol
that increases your risk of heart disease) and significantly reduces high
blood pressure.  The Yi people of China eat a diet high in buckwheat
(approximately 100 grams, or 3.5 ounces per day).  Researchers tested the
blood lipids of 805 Yi Chinese and found they had lower LDL cholesterol and
higher HDL cholesterol (HDL cholesterol is the good kind of cholesterol that
protects against heart disease).

     Other research has shown that buckwheat can lower blood pressure as
effectively as "ACE" hypertension drugs. Buckwheat suppresses the expression
of the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE), thereby regulating blood
pressure.

     Buckwheat owes its heart healthy powers to a dense concentration of
flavonoids, particularly the antioxidant rutin, which strengthens blood
vessels and boosts circulation for optimal blood flow.  And let's not forget
the nutritive effects of magnesium.  Just one cup of buckwheat provides 86
milligrams of magnesium, which relaxes blood vessels and enhances blood flow
and nutrient delivery to tissues, cells, and organs.

Diabetes Defender

What do rice, wheat, and corn all have in common?  They are grains that
trigger a spike in blood sugar and can accelerate or exacerbate the onset of
prediabetes and diabetes.  Buckwheat, on the other hand, helps regulate
blood sugar and insulin responses through the activity of a compound called
chiro-inositol, which controls glucose metabolism by helping cells be more
receptive to insulin.  One study made up of 36,000 women in Iowa showed that
those who ate an average of three servings of whole grains (like buckwheat)
a day had a 26% lower risk of diabetes!

Fortify with Fiber

Foods rich in fiber speed the digestion of food through the intestinal
tract, decrease the secretion of bile acids that promote gallstones and
other digestive complications, increase insulin sensitivity, and lower
heart-compromising triglycerides.  Buckwheat contains 17 grams of fiber per
cup, and more protein than rice, millet, or corn.

Cook it Up!

Substitute buckwheat steamed with parsley, basil, onions, and extra virgin
olive oil, for hot cereal.  You can also sprout buckwheat by soaking
untoasted seeds in water, draining, and exposing to air for two days.  Add
to salads as a crunchy topping... much healthier than croutons!  Buckwheat
soba noodles, a Japanese specialty, are sure to dethrone wheat pasta as the
healthiest noodle in town!

*******
*******