From:
Robert Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:04:37 -0700

        I concur with Bob Levy.  Don't let the Gluten Intolerance run your
life.  I was born with Celiac Sprue, lived on a wheat farm in North Dakota,
and was always self-conscious whenever I went anywhere with my parents or
whenever I had to eat somewhere that wasn't at home.  Most of the time I am
a pretty outgoing individual, but I always hated to make a scene of not
being able to eat what everyone else had.  Now that I am  28, (must be
getting surly and becoming a curmudgeon in my old age ;)  ) I have found
that most people are genuinely interested and care about my well-being.  I
have been scolded by people hosting a dinner party for not telling them what
I could and could not eat.  All of my friends and co-workers know, or have a
vague idea and ask me, what I can eat whenever I go anywhere.  I realize
some of that is the result of small community friendliness in Wyoming, but
mostly I find that people don't want to intentionally hurt someone.

        Anyway, to get to my point.  Fran, or anyone else, when you
socialize with your co-workers, tell them what you can have.  It is a little
embarassing to explain to people the first time what you can eat and what
you can't.  But, afterwards, they will be aware of your situation and be
more likely to understand.  When no one knows why you have a different meal,
they will be angry/jealous/surprised/curious.  When they know that you have
special dietary needs, even if they don't completely understand what you
have, they know why you have something different.  One of my supervisors is
a vegetarian, and she is always very accomodating and sometimes is more
careful about what I can eat that I am!  Other folks don't always completely
understand what I have, but if there is a party, they always ask if there is
something I can have.

        Well, for what it's worth, I agree with Mr. Levy.  (Bob's tend to
think alike.)  8)  Let others know why you act the way you do, and if your
supervisor is less than accomodating, work with the restaurant to find some
other option.

Bob Becker
Northwest College
Powell, WY