From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:50:04 EST

                         Newsletter Roundup
                         --------3---------
                        Compiled by Jim Lyles

This section contains articles and excerpts from newsletters produced
by other celiac groups.

:                                                         :
: Excerpts from the Greater Philadelphia CS Support Group :
: ------------------------------------------------------- :
: newsletter: Sep. 1998                Phyllis J. Brogden :
:                                        6318 Farmar Lane :
:                                    Flourtown, PA  19031 :
:.........................................................:

Caramel Coloring:  (Information from Nancy Patin Falini, MA, RD) Nancy
obtained a statement from the Sethness Products Company that their
caramel coloring is gluten-free (GF).  The other major producer of
caramel coloring in the United States, D.  D.  Williamson, also makes
it GF.  But the Sethness Products Company also stated that there are
other companies in the USA that do make caramel coloring and some is
also imported from the European Union and Japan.  Therefore, the
bottom line on this is that caramel coloring must still be checked
out.  If made by the two companies mentioned then you know it is GF
but otherwise, if produced by another company or imported you need to
find out if it is made GF.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Gluten-Free Food Reviews
------------------------

Review on Kinnikinnick Foods:  Six of us (two celiacs and four
non-celiacs) got together and sampled various products supplied by
Kinnikinnick Foods of Canada The following lists the product, then the
rating, and any comments we felt worth mentioning.  We rated each
product on a scale of Excellent, Very Good, Good, and Fair for taste
and texture.  They recommend keeping all their baked goods
refrigerated and freezing any products not used after a few days.
When ready to use a frozen product, microwave 10-15 seconds to improve
the texture.  Using a toaster oven or a regular toaster is a good way
to improve the flavor and texture of frozen bread and buns.  You can
contact Kinnikinnick Foods by phone, 403-424-2900; by fax,
403-421-0456; by e-mail, [log in to unmask]; or at their web page,
http:\\www.kinnikinnick.com.  (Reviews submitted by the Brogden and
Masterson families.)

* Straight Grain Free Bread:  Toasted with butter--Excellent taste and
  texture; would make a wonderful breakfast toast.  Also would be good
  for a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich.

* Many Wonder Multi-Grain Rice Bread:  Toasted with butter--Fair taste
  and chewy texture.  A dark bread, hard to toast.

* Robin's Honey Brown Rice Bread:  Toasted with butter--Fair taste and
  texture.

* Tapioca Rice Bread:  Toasted with butter--Very good taste and
  texture.  Also good for a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich.

* Raisin Tapioca Rice Bread:  Toasted with butter--Good taste, chewy
  texture.

* Cheese Tapioca Rice Bread:  Toasted with butter--Good taste and
  texture.

* Tapioca Rice Seed and Fiber Bun:  Toasted with butter--Good taste
  and fair texture.

* Tapioca Rice Hamburger Bun:  Good taste and texture.  Phyllis and Ed
  made a sandwich right out of the package and enjoyed it.

* Tapioca Rice Bagel:  Toasted with butter--Very good taste and
  texture.  Hard to believe this bagel is gluten-free (GF).

* Cranberry Muffin:  Good taste, moist with an airy texture.

* Tapioca Rice English Muffin:  Toasted with butter--Very good taste
  and texture.  Hard to believe this muffin is GF.

* Chocolate Chip Cookies:  Good taste with a soft, delicate texture.
  Although not good for dunking, these certainly satisfy a sweet
  tooth!

* Sugar Donut:  Very good taste and texture.  More like a cruller than
  a donut.  Good for dunking--even the non-celiacs liked this one.

Gluten-Free Pantry Mixes, Teresa Masterson:  I tested several mixes
from a few different suppliers, ranging from breads to cookie mixes.
The following are the top three I recommend for taste, texture, and
ease of making:

* Gluten-Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix:  All you need to
  add to this mix is 4 large eggs, 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, and
  3/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional).  Mix all ingredients
  together, put in a 9 x 13 inch pan, and bake for 33 minutes at 350
  degrees F.  These brownies rise very high and the taste and texture
  are excellent.  I served this to non-celiacs and they wanted to know
  where they could purchase this mix.  If you are a chocoholic you
  will love these brownies!

* Gluten-Free Pantry Chocolate Chip Cookie/Square Mix:  This mix can
  make cookies, squares, or cake.  I made the squares so in addition
  to the mix I used 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, 2
  tsp.  vanilla, and 4 eggs.  Mix all ingredients together and spread
  in a 9 x 9 inch pan.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.  These
  are very easy to make and they rise very high.  They had a good
  texture and taste, and were just as good the next day.

* Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix:  I purchased this
  mix in bulk--a 5 lb.  bag.  I made this in the Zojirushi V-20 bread
  machine.  I added 4-1/2 cups bread mix, 1-3/4 cups water, 4 Tbsp.
  butter, 2 large eggs, and 2-1/4 tsp.  yeast.  The total time was 2
  hours and 18 minutes.  This bread bakes nice and high and has a
  great texture--perfect for sandwiches.  Slice it when it is
  completely cool and freeze the slices individually in Ziploc bags.
  The package also tells how to make this bread in the oven.

From the Food Chain (Gang):  Four members (Christina Buschmann,
Barbara Janderisevitz, Teresa Masterson, and Ann Marie Muto) set out
with the goal of preparing, evaluating, and objectively rating
gluten-free (GF) mixes.  They rated each mix in five different
categories (easy to make, taste, texture, serves well, and
aftertaste), using a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most favorable.

* Miss Roben's Reformulated Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix:  Ratings:
  4-5-5-5-5.  Comments:  Everything you need including the chips are
  in the mix.  I added 1/3 cup of Bette Hagman's GF flour mix to the
  dough because it seemed too wet for cookies.

* Miss Roben's Roll and Cut Gingerbread Cookie Mix:  Ratings:
  4-5-5-5-5.  Comments:  I used my cookie press and made bar cookies.
  This is not a ginger snap, it is excellent gingerbread.  The recipe
  calls for whole milk and molasses so be sure to have them on hand
  before you start.  This mixture also seemed a little too wet, but
  that allows you to add GF flour while rolling and cutting.

* Really Great Foods Company Lemon Poppy Cake Mix:  Ratings:
  5-5-5-5-5.  Comments:  This mix makes a beautiful, light, moist,
  tasty cake.  It makes two 9-inch layers.  Teresa made a 2-layer cake
  with lemon icing that was heavenly.  This cake can stand on its own
  as a loaf, too.  Lemon icing:  6 Tbsp.  creamed butter, 1/4 cup
  lemon juice, 1-1/2 tsp.  vanilla, and 4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups sifted
  confectioners sugar.  For butter icing, substitute 1/4 cup milk for
  the lemon juice.

* Gluten-Free Pantry Country French Bread and Pizza Mix:  Ratings:
  5-5-5-5-5.  I followed the package instructions to the letter.  It
  produces a beautiful 2-lb.  loaf.  The bread had a delicious chewy
  crust and white firm bread that is excellent plain or toasted.