Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 17:31:41 -0400

After posting my summary on Amy's frozen entrees and noting how many
people seemed to be affected by them, I wrote the company and the following
is their response. Make of it what you will.

J in IL
**********

"We are sorry to hear
about your daughters increased anti-tTG scores.  It must be very
frustrating.  A wide range of activities and cross-checks are completed at
Amy’s Kitchen to ensure that cross-contamination and/or inadvertent use
of the wrong ingredient does not occur in our facilities.  Examples that
apply to gluten include:

·
Full shift manufacture of products with
complete clean-up of all food contact surfaces between products.  Pieces
of equipment that come in contact with food are cleaned, sanitized and
inspected prior to the manufacture of the next product.

·
Separate item numbers for all
ingredients; these are checked by two individuals on receipt of the ingredient
and three people on use of the ingredient to confirm the correct item is used.

·
Use of colored tags, papers and
containers in production as an addition visual check to ensure intermediate
components are not interchanged.

·
Bar code readers at packaging lines to ensure correct
package is used with each product.

·  C2
Designated areas for flour and nonfat dry
milk use to control airborne allergens and minimize spread.

·
Analysis for gluten in our in-house
allergen lab; each manufacturing run of a Gluten Free product is tested to
ensure it complies with the FDA definition of Gluten Free (<20 ppm).

·
Spot screening of ingredients and
finished products at University
 of Nebraska (FARRP - Food
Allergy Research and Resource Program) to confirm there are no unlabeled
allergens (utilize tests for gluten, soy, milk, certain treenuts, etc.).

We routinely test every gluten
free manufacturing run as well as critical ingredients.  Over a year ago,
we switched many of our gluten free ingredients away from suppliers that also
handled gluten in their plant if we felt there was a possibility of
contamination.  We feel comfortable that our procedures and practices are
allowing us to consistently manufacture products that are Gluten Free.

We would be happy to
discuss this with you and/or your daughter at your convenience.  If you
would like to do this, please send your phone number and a suggested time.

Kind regards,

Marsha Kopral

Technical Service

*******