From:
Chloe Macy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 23:24:31 -0400

There's a saying that goes: "Complain upwards, not sideways."
Joe made some very good points about potential views of our
community by food packagers and manufacturers.  A flood of phone calls
doesn't seem to do the trick.  I don't think muckraking in the media
will win us any friends or empathy, either.

Instead of bemoaning our position on the list, we should take inventory
of what we do have going for us: this list, several (fragmented) celiac
organizations and support groups, and don't forget GF food
manufacturers.  Those of us who belong to a group (I don't at this
point) should try to use the groups resources and connections to find
out how to petition the FDA, the USDA, and other related gov't agencies
to improve food labeling.  Surely, there must be an attorney or two
among us (there is in just about every crowd! :) ) who may have some
ideas.

For those of us in Massachusetts, we have to two very highly placed
political allies: both the governer and his lieutenant are wheat
intolerant (maybe celiac.  I can't remember.)  Has any of the support
groups here approached them on how to go about getting a change in
labelling laws?  Some advice, maybe?

On the internet: The Food Allergy Network has a very good site.  Even an
article about a petition to the FDA to change labelling.  They may have
some ideas about what to do, OR...maybe we could join them and get our
numbers up?

Just ideas, I guess.

Gwynneth in Boston