Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:44:22 -0400

It's about time I got this summary out to all those interested in my findings.

Basically I have learned that approx. 5% of untreated Celiac patients suffer
symptoms that are very similar to those of Multiple Sclerosis.  It seems you
can have the balance and uncoordination difficulties, numbness, eye sight
abnormalities and of course the bowel "stuff".  My original concern was for
my sister-in-law, who was diagnosed with MS.  I have always suspected she
had CD, especially once my children were diagnosed.  I know it has to come
from somewhere right?  My children can't be the only members of this large
family, to have CD.  I did share my findings with my sister-in-law and she
said she would go for the blood test first.  I will post her results.

In reading some of the articles suggested it seems that some MS patients,
for whatever reason, went on a gluten-free diet and their symptoms were less
severe if not diminished.  I'm wondering if they had MS at all or just
undiagnosed, untreated Celiac.  Anyway, if a GF diet helps I will urge my
sister-in-law to try it as well.

Here are some sites to visit:
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/hoggan
http://www.hwc.ca/links/english.html
http://www.pslgroup.com/MEDRES.htm
http://www.2cowherd.net/q/embry.htm

Thanks to all who responded.  This list is wonderful :)
Chris in Ontario