From:
Diane Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:44:43 EDT

This in in regards to LaChoy products by Hunt-Wesson, Inc.
                      PO Box 4800
                      Fullerton, CA  92634-4800
There have been some postings lately about their products such as the soy
sauce and their booklet which shows it as not being gluten free.  I want to
share my information about their booklet which I received last year.
After receiving the booklet which is a chart form and it has letters which
stand for hvp, distilled vinegar from wheat or corn, corn etc. The booklet has
AD for the soy sauce which states hydrolyzed vegetable protein: may contain
trace amounts of gluten and contains carmel color made from corn. I wrote to
the company questioning the AD because the label of the ingredients is clearly
labeled hydrolyzed soy protein.  I received a response which was a letter
stating that there are errors in the booklet. They sent a booklet with yellow
sticky notes of the corrections on all the pages with errors.  The soy sauce
should read only a D which stands for carmel color made from corn and therfore
is Gluten free. My doctor who is Celiac uses it with no problems.  It does
have a preservative and that may be what bothered the list member or the soy.
I'm sorry to hear that the company hasn't revised the booklet yet and that
they failed to notify with a note about the errors to someone who was asking
about gluten.  Hope this helps.  Diane