Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:31:44 -0700

After an off list excellent explanation from Don Wiss about the reason for
the politics concerning the Celiac Sprue Association (CSA), I sent the
following suggestion to CSA at: [log in to unmask]

If anyone else wishes to send their suggestions to the organization we need
to depend on so much, it might be a help. -vance

Re: the practice of listing gluten free substances:

Why don't you consider presenting substances in three different groups?: 1.
gluten free substances; 2. gluten free, but likely to be contaminated with
gluten; 3. gluten free, but often causing discomfort to celiacs.

If you'd make this simple change in your presentation it would: 1. be of
immense help to celiacs, who are constantly confused by the plethora of
different opinions on such substances; 2. probably stop all or most the
immensely harmfuld internecine politics among celiacs that splits our
ranks, blunts our impact on government and industry, and divides us
politically to weaken any attempt we make to improve our lot.

Please consider this suggestion carefully. I could stop a lot of the
problems celiacs have with available information about their problem.
Beginners on the GF diet are hopelessly confused about such things, as I
was four years ago when I started down this road.