From:
NICKI HUMPHRIES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:40:23 -0400

In less than 24 hours, many of you have sent great info on
traveling to Germany.  Below is the info I've received

Websites

http://members.aol.com/zoeliak/spr_info.html
http://hometown.aol.com/zoeliak/index.htm
http://www.zoeliakie-info.de/Sprachinfo/Deutsch/deutsch.html
You may find the German Coeliac Soc site useful.  They have some parts in
English.  Try http://www.dzg-online.de/english.html
you find a German restaurant card on the Web-Site of the German Celiac
Association: www.dzg-online.de
Contact Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) in Seattle, WA for information=20
and a copy of the Restaurant Card in German.=20

Gluten Intolerance Group
15110 10th Ave SW, Suite A
Seattle, WA 98166-1820
Telephone:         206-246-6652
Fax:                    206-246-6531
Website:             www.gluten.net
Email:                [log in to unmask]

Here are some dishes you can eat:
   Fried potatoes ("Bratkartoffeln") Ask to use only salt and pepper.
   Cooked potatoes with butter ("Butterkartoffeln")
   Steak
   Fish (Ask not to turn it in flour)
   Some restaurants use corn starch for their gravy, in this case you can
      also eat socalled "Braten" (meat prepared in the oven)

This is not glutenfree:
   typical south German noodles ("Spaetzle")
   be careful with gravy (most use wheat flour)
   Dumplings made of bread ("Semmelknoedel")
   Potatoe Dumplings are sometimes glutenfree - ask

Before I went to Germany I went to the library and looked thru cookbooks
of German recipes.  I made two lists.  One of food that was usually made
without gluten and another of food that usually had gluten in.  I could
than look at a menu and decide what items I could ask about.  Breakfast
will be your most difficult meal as they have bread and meat.  I stopped
at grocery stores and bought fruit to carry with me.