From:
Thomas Patchan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:02:52 EDT

Hi fellow listmates,

Here is the summary I promised, based on the over 50 responses from people I
wish I had time to thank personally.

The overwhelming answer to my question of glutinous rice flour being the same
as sweet rice flour is YES.  Many told me it is safe and sticky, thus the
adjective glutinous, not glutenous.  Many also said it is great for cookie
recipes and thickening.  Sweet rice flour is higher in calories and heavier
than regular rice flour. One response gave me a website which includes
recipes using glutinous rice flour:
http://www.GFrecipes.com/

The only concerns I received were about contamination and texture differing
from the sweet rice flour that's mail ordered.  However, many, many responses
stated that they always get their sweet rice flour from Asian markets because
it's less expensive and they have never reacted to it or had a problem with
it .  I also received one response from a listmate in Asia where glutinous or
sweet rice flour is only used for special recipes that need the best quality
rice flour, so we should enjoy it.

Happy gluten-free baking!
Julia Patchan ( 6 1/2 year old Tommy's mom )