From:
Darcy Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:54:03 -0700

Hello All,
Much thanks to all of you who wrote to me on behalf of my patient whom I
feel is gluten intolerant due to a positive anti-gliadin IgA, but whom has
been told by her gastroenterologist that this is impossible because of her
"normal" D-xylose test results.  I asked specifically for those to write to
me whom had had normal D-xylose tests prior to their diagnosis so I might
share this with my patient.  Thank you to those of you who took to the time
to share your experience with that in particular.  These messages
(addresses excluded) I shared with my patient.

Also, thanks to Dr. Pruessner, for directing me to his article Detecting
Celiac Disease in Your Patients, online at
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html which I also forwarded to my
patient.

Many of you wrote to me sharing histories of testing negative on another or
many tests prior to diagnosis (self or official) illustrating the vast
variability of the clinical presentation of this condition which all of us,
especially the medical professionals, need to keep in mind before making
any blanket statement.

I received a voice mail from my patient, who was very appreciative to all
of you for the information and also reports that because of it she is "back
on the diet".

Pat