From:
Patrick Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:41:21 -0500

Pam Wrote:

> My six-month-old has been recommended to follow a g-f diet because
> her brother is celiac.

Pam,

My wife and I both have Celiac disease.  Our GI told us we have only a
20% chance of  having children with Celiac.  We asked him if we should
start our children (when we have them) on a GF diet to be safe.  He
said definitely not.  He said if the baby never eats gluten then we'll
never actually know if our child has Celiac.  If we feed our child
gluten containing food then we'll know early on because we'll be
looking for it.  He said there was no point in possibly inflicting the
child with a difficult and life long diet unnecessarily.
But that's just one doctor's advice.   You might want ask you doctor
about this option.  I'm curious about his response.  My wife and I
plan to have children in the next year or so and we're interested in
advice and experience on the best way to deal with their diet.

Patrick