From:
Jenn Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jenn Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:52:13 -0500

Yes, I am still chopping up the summary, there will be one more (#4).

This is from a previous summary:
1. Look up Health food stores in the yellow pages.
Personally I found this suggestion although very practical, a tad unhelpful.
The first places I would have looked would have been health food stores.
What I was actually after was personal opinions as to the best places to go.
The rest of the suggestion received were great and they are -
2.I'm in the UK right now but I lived in the SF Bay Area for 7 years (the
last two years I was GF).  I never had any luck buying bread, I ended up
making my own.  Part of the reason for this is the American Celiac
Association is much stricter than other countries in its guidelines; for
example in the UK they allow wheat starch and distilled products the US
doesn't.  I found pasta at healthfood stores.  As far as restaurants are
concerned, one of my favorites was an Indian restaurant on Ellis Street near
Union Square.  New Delhi is
the name of the  restaurant.  At the time I visited the owner showed a lot
of concern in providing me with food I could eat.  To the best of my
recollection I could eat most things on the menu except the breads.

There are also two chains of all-you-can-eat salad type restaurants where I
ate all the time.  The names are "Sweet Tomato" and "Fresh Choice"; I
avoided all the salads with dressings and the breads and pastas.  But I
found that there was more than enough to eat in the way of fruit and veg and
baked potatoes.
3.Here are a few ideas for where to buy breads and such, and also a few café
and restaurant suggestions. San Francisco is not so bad for a celiac!

Stores:
*Whole Foods
Here you can get:
- Food for Life Almond/Pecan Rice bread
- Food for Life Rice bread
- Pasta Riso gluten-free pastas
- several kinds of gluten-free crackers
- Amazake rice drinks (excellent!)
- gluten-free waffles
- flourless chocolate cake to die for
1765 California Street (Corner of California & Franklin). (415)674.0500.
Convenient location one block from Van Ness Avenue.

*Trader Joe's
Here you can get:
- Food for Life Almond Rice bread
- Gluten-free waffles (in the freezer section) Excellent!
- meringues
Locations:
555 Ninth Street Retail Center between Toys "R" Us and Bed and Bath
Superstore. Entrance and parking off Bryant or Brannan. (415) 863-1292. The
store is open 9AM to 9PM daily. This is a bit of an industrial area, south
of Market Street.
AND
3 Masonic Avenue, just north of Geary. (415) 346-9964.  The store is open
9AM to 9PM.

Cafe:
Dolores Park Cafe
501 Dolores Street @ 18th Street
Here you can get one or two different kinds of baked goods from GFoods!, a
San Francisco gluten-free bakery.  Last time I went there, they had
lemon/raspberry biscotti.  Then you can sit down and enjoy your coffee, just
like everyone else.

Restaurants:
- If you like Japanese food, I recommend Kabuto's at 5116 Geary Boulevard @
15th Avenue. (415) 752-5652
- In Chinatown, an excellent Vietnamese place for rice noodle soup and rolls
wrapped in rice paper is Golden Flower at 667 Jackson Street, between Grant
and Kearny.
4. In Sanfrancisco Real Foods Market and/or any other health food store.
In S.F
as in any city all top restaurants take customers dietary limitations very
seriously.  As always, have the waiter check with the kitchen BEFORE you
finalize your menu choice.  Have the waiter report back to you on the items
you have in mind before you order.
5.I'm glad you asked, when I was last in SF a friend introduced us to a
vegan restaurant named 'Now & Zen'.  It sounded a little far out but was
really a very laid-back, friendly place and they were most helpful when it
came to checking out ingredients.  Not all of the items on the menu are
gluten free but they did have quite a number of them and all of those which
I tried were most impressive.  The owner/chef goes to great lengths to turn
out really tasty and nutritious food and has even written a couple of
cookbooks with her more popular recipes.  I purchased one of these when I
was there and now I get to relive the experience all over again when the
mood strikes.  This restaurant was so good in fact, that we went back twice
in one week.

A place that I LOVE is a wonderful a lively Mexican place in Pacific Grove
(a couple of minutes from Monterey--next town) is called Peppers. Great,
fresh food in a fun and colorful environment--but not overwhelming, like
Chevy's. They have all of the usual yummy Mex stuff, just order corn
tortillas and you're set. There's a Denney's on Munras Ave. that will make
things GF. Also Taco Bell on Alverado or Alverez, something like
that...anyway it's a major street as is Munras. Also the restaurants on the
Wharf have lots of seafood that you can get plain or broiled. There is a
Whole Foods Market in the Del Monte shopping center in Monterey where you
can get GF foods. There are several seafood restaurants on the wharf there
that can accomodate a GF meal. They are more adult oriented though. There
are lots of seafood restaurants along the Fisherman's Wharf and along
Cannery Row that are pretty safe if you order broiled seafood without any
sauces. There was also a good breakfast/lunch diner on, I think Alonzo Rd,
which is where all the locals hang out that will make a burger to your
specs. Angela
*************************
You can try Rainbow Grocery at 1745 Folsom St. (415-863-0621)- use Yahoo
maps. They have some GF cookies, cheap and expensive and GF cereals. They
are like Whole Foods but better because they're more hippie like, and
actually cheaper overall. You can also get some GF snacks at Trader Joe's
which has a GF pamplet you can get at the door at 3 Masonic Ave. (S.F.
415-346-9964), 555-9th (S.F.- 415-863-1292), and 64 Westlake
Mall(650-756-2192) in Daly City, CA, close to San Francisco.
Don't forget to check out Sterling Winery, nestled up in hill with tram,
Coppola Winery (Frances Ford Coppola-movie director) and the Town of Sonoma
up north as well is nice to visit for it's town square and shops, including
Sonoma cheese factory shop. Laura
****************************
There's a place called Nature Stop on Grant St. in North Beach -- close or
not so close to where you are, depending upon which part of Fisherman's
Wharf you're at. The Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf, for
instance, is more or less at the foot of Powell Street. Going up Telegraph
Hill the Streets are Powell, (Columbus cuts through diagonally), Stockton,
Grant. Going across the hill the streets (short blocks) are Bay, Francisco,
Chestnut, Lombard....Filbert, Union, Green -- I may have left out one or
two. Nature Stop is about at Green Street - maybe just beyond. They have
Lundberg rice cakes, some fresh fruit, Pavel's plain yoghurt (wonderful
stuff), Pamela's cookies.