From:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:34:40 -0400

Hi, just returned from a wonderful sun-soaked week in NC at the Oak
Island beaches.    I received several suggestions from other listmates
for GF resources which I'll include below.  Although we planned to go
out to eat, at the recommended places,  we decided to eat in all week
because the  local grocery store, Lowe's, had a good supply of GF
foods for our needs.   We also found a health food store in Southport
that carried a few good items.  To summarize:

Lowe's grocery store (on right hand side Long Beach Road before going
onto the island):  Great supply
	of GF items which were stocked in the same aisle as the like regular
food.  You can go online
	and see their selection, as well as order your groceries online so
they are ready for bagged and
	ready for pickup when you arrive at the store.  <http://www.lowesfoods.com

On the island there is a restaurant on the Ocean Crest Pier, Island
Way Restaurant and Bar, that sits
	on the beach with a great view of the ocean.  Although we didn't eat
there, we had a great
	conversation with the staff and manager and they are very aware of
gluten-free needs and
	how to provide for them.  I'd feel very comfortable eating there and
the locals highly recommended
	their food.  Ph. # 910-278-7770

There is a restaurant in downtown Southport (about 20 min away) called
The Pharmacy that was recommended
	by two people.  <http://www.southporttimes.com/pharmacy.html> for
phone number and directions.  It
	was suggested to call ahead and make reservations, as well as to make
them aware of GF needs.

Live Oak Nutrition is a health food store in Southport on 114 E. Nash
Street that carries a few GF items, including
	Kinnikinnick donuts and pizza crusts, George's English muffins, and
bags of nuts/snacks that do not have
	any peanuts listed on their ingredients.  This was real find for us
since I'm allergic to peanuts.
	Ph # 910-457-0550.

For nearby Myrtle Beach, a restaurant called Collector's Cafe was
recommended.  No GF menu but they were
  	able to accommodate for GF needs.  <http://www.collectorscafeandgallery.com/

Thanks for all the help!

Sue