From:
Brenda Coats <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brenda Coats <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:12:38 -0700

Here are the rest of the replies:

~Brenda

You have brought up a favorite subject of mine. I couldn't eat Pamela's
cookies for years. The only ones that I can eat now are the lemon
cookies. At one time they announced that they were not using canola oil
any more. I have written them several times asking if they process their
cookies on dedicated lines. They always claim that they do. I have heard
that Pamela is the daughter of the man that owns the famous San
Francisco sour dough bakery. I have always suspected a cross
contamination issue there, but have no proof. I can't eat the chocolate
cookies because of the soy in them. This might be your problem.

That's interesting. I didn't seem to have a problem with the lemon ones either. Still...I'm not positive about cross contamination, so I'm sticking by my decision to avoid all of them. ~Brenda

We cannot eat Pamela's cookies.  I called and they are made in a regular wheat bakery certain days of the week and "we clean the machinery thoroughly."  That is

never good enough for us.

You might want to look on their website for all information. It looks
like they produce all wheat-free products, but there are two oatmeal
cookies that they also produce, they claim them to be wheat-free, but
not gluten-free.

www.pamelasproducts.com<http://www.pamelasproducts.com/>

 I have noticed their chocolate items are heavy on the soy lecithin,
which can bother me (I am soy intolerant, also). There are tons of other
product brands I can eat with no ill effects that contain soy lecithin.
Go figure.

I love these and eat them all the time.  Since I've been pregnant, though, I
get acid reflux from them!  Isn't that funny?  I think it must be a really
acidic or alkaline chocolate to do that.

I've been Suuuuuuuuper sensitive since being pregnant, and have had what
seem like "reactions" to Pamela's espresso flavor, but honestly i think it's
the strength of the chocolate and the espresso in the cookie rather than the
gluten.

Pamela's entire line of products is gluten free Except for two of them. They are oatmeal cookies. There is a phone number on the site if you hae any concerns about the products. I think its a little odd  of them to make all those gluten free products then throw in those 2 oatmeal ones.

To my knowledge they are a totally GF facility. You may be sensitive to guar or xanthan gums. They sometimes have laxative effects on some people.

Hmmm....not positive, but I don't think it had guar gum in it, which is the only gum I'm sensitive to. It did not have a laxative affect. ~Brenda
I have. I just stopped eating them. I have multiple food allergies so I thought maybe it was that. Though, I must be honest I thought it was a gluten reaction. I emailed them a while ago. From what I remember they assured me it was safe. Regardless, I haven't eaten them since.

I do not eat them - I got sick from a package of her cookies last September - other celiac's will swear they are wonderful!  I think they are contaminated with Barley.
About two years ago, Pamela's cookies have been removed from shelves per
Canadian governement order, as we have a law that if labeled GF, they test
for gluten, and it has to be less than 20 ppm.  Their cookies tested way
more than that, so they ordered them to take them back.  Unfortunately, they
have been sold in the US afterward, as US governement has no specifications
for GF products.
Pamela's company have stated that they had changed where they were
fabricating their products and that this was no more an issue.
Is it true?  I wonder.....

You and I BOTH wonder. 8o) ~Brenda
Early, soon after finding out about my celiac and was still very ill, I tried Pamela's and had a reaction. I do not know if it was cross-contamination or simply a problem with grain and sugar itself. Over the past years, however, I've discovered that I cannot eat anything by a maker that also makes gluten-containing products. It's just not worth it.
The chocolate chunk bother me, too, and I wonder if it is
something in the chocolate. I have started making my own.
It only takes 5 minutes to make cookies.

The chocolate chunk make me very very ill.  I have eaten them several times to make sure they are the offending food.  They used to have canola oil and dairy, but the recipe is different now I think.  I cant eat them at all and have given up.  It did not occur to me it could be a gluten problem, as supposedly they are gf.  I assumed it was another ingredient.  Maybe its one of the gums or the oil she uses.  Sorry you have been sick, they make me real sick too.
We buy them all the time adn do not have a problem.  Hope they are really OK.

This concludes the summary. All of you were very kind, so thank you!! I hope this summary will help someone out there make an informed decision.

Take care, and be well.

~Brenda