Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:20:23 EST

Hi Listmates

Many thanks for all of your supportive e-mails. I received responses from
over 30 people.  Here are the results:
~ 5 people said that this definitely sounded like an allergic food reaction &
not a CD reaction to gluten
~ 3 said it sounded like a gluten reaction rather than an allergic reaction
~ 7 others have problems with soy, but react with classic CD symptoms
~ 3 others also have severe reactions including chills & vomiting to soy or
other foods (1 was buckwheat)
~ 6 said that this sounded like it could be a reaction to 1 or more of these
foods: milk (lactose or casein) , or vinegar, or corn, or a multiple food
allergy reaction.
~ 1 said that it sounded like a yeast reaction
~ 1 suggested trying a naturopath for further understanding & assistance
~ 1 said that soy oil is OK & that just soy flour & other soy products should
be avoided.
~ 1 suggested further blood testing to determine exact food allergies (see
below)
~  2 said that this sounded like a mild form of anaphylactic shock (please
see detailed responses  below)

A few people responded with letters that I felt had to be forwarded.  They
are:

~I too kept having reactions even when I KNEW i was gluten free.  Got
in-depth IgG  (not just IgE) allergy blood work, found out I was allergic to
MANY things, not just wheat.  Soy was right up there, along with corn, all
legumes, most fish (really!!).  I would advise the IgG testing !!!!  If I
follow the diet I need to, my pain is greatly diminished, and energy goes WAY
up.  You may have to search for a naturopath MD though.  Please email if you
have any questions.  It really made a difference in my life.  Made it MUCH
harder, but better too!

~I'm curious,  do you react to Organic Apple Cider Vinegar?  I understand
it is the ONLY one that has no yeast.  Lots of people can't handle soy.
Lots of controversy on this.

    I am using the Fat Flush Plan diet and for once I feel like I am on the
right road.  I've found I'm sensitive to all grains except a good brown
rice. (like Lundberger)  Tummy feels great and so do I!  Might want to look
into it.

    Almost forgot, it took me a couple of years to figure it all out.
Celiac's have a good chance of bacteria overgrowth....something that took
longer for me to treat though diet.  Once I controlled it Celiac diet was
easy.  I learned "you know your body best"  from  "AnnLoiuse Gittleman,
M.S., C.N.S."  my hero ;0), next to Betty Hagman, that is.

Good Luck,

~ The reaction you describe is the same reax. my son gets after wasp stings.
 IT MAY be an anaphylactic reaction, a true allergic reax. which may be
deadly.

The alarming symptoms are the quick response to the allergen, the throat
and esophageal pain, the chills and muscle spasms.  (My son experiences
fever, then severe migraine w. vomiting after the initial chill.)  The
"fear" is part of the reaction (tho the symptoms are certainly severe
enough to produce 'fright' in themselves.)  The stomach cramps and
hypermotility of intestines are also part of the generalized muscle
contractions (which may lead to inability to breathe or 'throat closing'
in anaphylaxis and this is the cause of respiratory arrest - inability to
breathe.)

You probably should get these symptoms checked out by an immunologist or
allergist.  Anaphylaxis is a fairly common symptom of soy allergies (and
peanut or fish, seafood allergies also.)  Even if the allergist refuses to
believe the seriousness of gluten-intolerance, (s)he will not take these
symptoms lightly.

You just need to know if SOY is causing an anaphylactic-type response in
you.

Gluten-intolerant people are more prone to other allergies than the
general population.

And this may be a potentially very, very serious one.

Do not try eating soy in any form again until you have this investigated
as true anaphylactic allergies tend to worsen with each attack.
(I am a dietitian and a nurse and we have multiple problems with celiac
and other unrelated allergies as well in my family.)

Ruth (Virginia) BSN, MS, RD

Finally, my thanks to those of you who were so kind to simply send sympathy.
It was very much appreciated! :) Kathy C