From:
Becky Ilog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Ilog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:13:05 -0500

It's snowing here in Va. today, so it's a day for comfort foods.  I found a
new one today:  chocolate mochi.  Mochi is a dessert made in Hawaii, the
Phillipines, Vietnam and probably other countries too - from mochiko rice
flour.  I bought a new box of Mochiko rice flour at the Asian grocery last
night and it has a new recipe on it.  It looked promising, so we gave it a
whirl:

Cocoa Mochi
1 box Mochiko rice flour (1 pound box)
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons powdered cocoa (unsweetened)
1 cup water
extra cocoa for dusting
Optional for chocoholics: half cup of gf chocolate chips to sprinkle on top
OR gf sprinkles

In a saucepan, mix sugar and cocoa well. Add 1 cup water and heat and stir
til the sugar and cocoa are dissolved. Turn off heat.

Mix rice flour and 3 cups water in a large microwave safe bowl until
mixture is smooth.  Cover and microwave on high power for 5 minutes.
Remove from microwave & mix well (it will be quite thick).  Return to the
microwave and cook 5 minutes more.  Remove from microwave.  Pour the cocoa
syrup mixture over the rice mixture (I had to move everything to a bigger
bowl at this point) and stir thoroughly until it is a smooth, uniform (but
thick) consistency.  Pour mixture into a greased pan (you could use an 13 x
9 inch pan but I used 3 loaf pans; the recipe on the box does not specify).
Sprinkle with chocolate chips (optional) or sprinkles. Cool until firm.
Dust top well with cocoa and turn out onto a cutting board.  Cut into small
squares.  Store in an airtight container & refridgerate.    Enjoy!

Becky in Va.

NOTE:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer.
VCU Health System
http://www.vcuhealth.org