From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:48:19 -0700

     For those planning to travel to England and who are worried about
keeping to a GF diet, consider this:
     Marks & Spencer is a chain of wonderful department stores all
over the United Kingdom, known for its high quality and moderate
prices. Many of the stores have a food hall or supermarket department,
selling a vast array of M&S-made foods - and many are GF!
    In London, you are never far from a Marks and Spencer, and if you
are a tourist, the best thing you can do is stop by a M&S and load up
with items for a hotel mini-bar,a daily picnic, or snacks and candies.
Not expensive either.
     The quality of the service M&S provides is enough to make an
American weep. Would that our stores and supermarkets did the same. I
quote from the M&S website:
     "We supply lists of products which are free from the following
ingredients:
     - egg products
     - milk and lactose
     - GLUTEN!!!
     - soya
     - artificial colours
     - all added colours
     - artificial flavours
     - added preservatives
     - added MSG
     - garlic
     - added yeast and yeast extract
     - caffeine
     - nuts
     - sesame products
     - beef/beef products -all sources
     - beef/beef products - UK sources
     To get the lengthy GF list, or any other, all you have to do is
e-mail Marks & Spencer explaining that you will be visiting England
and giving your postal address, and the store will mail it to you. It
does take about two weeks to get it, so those planning on trips to
London during the summer would be well advised to send off for it now.
     Marks and Spencer can be contacted two ways, either through their
website
    Http://www.marks-and-spencer.co.uk
    click on "customer services" and go to the end.

Or directly to M & S customer services:
     I repeat, the variety is such, that anybody staying in London for
a few days can subsist quite happily on Marks and Sparks  products
(try their ready-to-go salads and yogurts). And if you have access to
a microwave, even longer. Great for finicky children, too, with lots
of GF candies and other goodies.
                          Regards to all, Mary in NYC