From:
MRS CAROLLEE HAYWARD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 1995 09:42:51 EDT

I have read these exchanges with great interest.  As a CD resource
unit for 3 states I am saddened to talk to people who are so scared
of ingesting gluten that they have severely affected the quality of
their life and those around them.  I am a biopsy-proven celiac for 5
years and the one factor that I feel helps people deal with our
limited diet is knowing how to cook.  If you don't know what goes
into a recipe than it becomes impossible to know if it is "safe".  I
eat out 3 or 4 times a week and travel a great deal and seldom have a
reaction.  Sure I'm careful, I ask lots of questions but I still go
and I still enjoy.  I agree that many times it is not the product
(such as vinegar or maple syrup) that is the problem but what it is
served on, or in, or is the vehicle (pan, cooking grill, etc.) clean
of gluten.  I have personally made the decision to go with known
factors, I refuse to live on a diet of rice and steamed chicken from
the fear of cross contamination at a factory somewhere.  And, I might
add, I do get immediate and severe reactions when I accidently get
gluten, but this probably only happens once or twice a year.  I truly
believe it's possible to live an enjoyable GF life.