From:
Dina Moreth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:03:38 -0400

Hello everyone and thank you to all who responded.  I sincerely
apologize for the delay in putting this summary together.  I have had
technical problems with both my computer and posting to the listserve.

My original question was whether or not topical products containing
gluten were harmful to all celiacs, or just those who also have DH.

Several people replied to say that they too are confused on this issue.

One person quoted Dr. Murray as saying that "you don't have to worry
about the gluten content of anything you don't put in your mouth."
Several others agreed with this statement saying that the gluten
proteins were too large to pass through the skin.

However, three people said they definitely experience a gastro reaction
after using a product that contains gluten.

One person said they were told not to even breathe it - i.e. in a
bakery, etc.

In all, while I am very grateful that people took the time to respond, I
am still confused and still wary.  My daughter doesn't always have a
noticeable reaction when has a gluten accident, so I can't go by that.
I am always worried that she might be getting some hidden glutens and
damaging her intestines while I'm here thinking everything's fine
because she's not sick.

I don't mean to whine.  I know everyone on this list deals with the same
or similar frustrations - just the nature of the beast, right?