From:
Virginia Schmuck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:04:40 -0700

I recently posted a letter from Sam Wylde III, President, Ener-G Foods.
However, I mis-spelled the address, so I wish to post it again.  I have no
financial interest in the company.  I am simply a very satisfied customer
for many years.  Therefore, here is Sam's letter exactly as I received it:

TO: All of Our Friends and Customers
Re: Ener-G Bakery Products

As you may know, we have recently recalled a number of our products at
store level due to technical issues raised by the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.  Ener-G is
cooperating fully  with these agencies and we wanted you to be aware of the
situation.

In a nutshell, the agencies believe that vacuum-packed bakery products
(gluten-free or wheat based) with a relatively high pH ("low acid") and
relative high "water activity" could possibly support the growth of
clostridium botulinum, even though no incidents have been reported
regarding these products.  Our baked products will be improved by the
addition of Vitamin C and retorting the Low Protein Cheese products will
likewise ensure that the cheese cannot support the growth of toxins.
Please be assured that no health problems have ever been associated with
any Ener-G products.  We are taking this action out of an abundance of
caution following discussions with the FDA because Ener-G is committed to
being a responsible and cooperative citizen.

We thought you might like to know the following:

First, neither FDA nor any other regulatory body nor Ener-G has found any
risky toxins in any samples of Ener-G products.  In other words, our recall
action is precautionary.

Second, Ener-G has enjoyed a very long history of safe consumption of our
products.  We have been manufacturing and selling bakery products in
substantialy the same form, and with approximately the same pH and water
activity levels, since at least the 1980's.

Third, Ener-G has modified its manufacturing specifications, and
reformulated its products, so that all future products will have pH levels
and water activity levels within the range FDA would like to see.

Ener-G has begun distributing newly formulated baked products and retorted
cheese products.  The baked products have been improved by the addition of
Vitamin C and retorting the Low Protein Cheese Products will likewise
ensure that the cheese cannot support the growth of toxins.  Unfortunately
the price Ener-G has to charge for the cheeses will also increase.

For more information, please contact:

Sam Wylde, III or Colleen Wylde
Ener-G Foods, Inc.
5960 - 1st Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98108
tel. 1-800-331-5222
www.ener-g.com

We genuinely regret and apologize for this inconvenience, and Ener-G wants
you to know that nothing is more important to us than the satisfaction and
well-being of all our customers and consumers.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and continued support and
business.

Virginia Schmuck