From:
Lisa Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:25:56 -0400

Hi Listmates,  I thought I'd better get this summary out now before it's
irrelevant for another sweet year!    L'shana tova to all. One suggestion was
to search the archives for previous iterations of this same question and I
apologize for not doing this first.  Following are suggested locations and
recipies; honey cake first:
I use any traditional honey cake recipe (particularly one by Shonie
Levi...Jewish Homemakers Guide...bought the book in the 1960's...don't know
if it's still out there) and substitute gf flour mix with a little xanthan gum.
A friend of mine blogged a GF honey cake recipe last year that looks good:
http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html
I know this won't be very helpful for this year, but stock up at Passover on
mixes.  Anything that's non gebrochts (without matzah meal) would be fine to
eat.  There are even some brands that label the mixes gluten free.
I suggest the Namaste brand spice cake. It's excellent with a little shredded
carrot in it too. It's not exact but pretty darn close (sorry, I can't remember if
it's kosher but it doesn't contain any dairy).
Honey cake--I have successfully made a honey cookie recipe that is so good
GF that I make some for my non-GF friends. I personally also prefer cookies
because they are easier to portion control, don't go bad as quickly as a cake,
plus I haven't been too successful at making cakes.

HONEY COOKIES
2 1/2 cups flour (see Note1)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey

Mix dry ingredients together. Add eggs and honey. Mix by hand or with a
heavy duty mixer. Cover and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350oF. Prepare cookie sheets using parchement paper, foil or
oil (I prefer parchment paper). Make small balls of the dough and place on
sheet (with my flour mixture you don't need to flatten but if you change the
mix you may need to flatten the cookie). Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
These keep and freeze well.
Note 1--I use 2 cups (240 grams) of a mixture of 1/3 chickpea/besan flour,
1/3 tapioca flour, 1/3 Argo brand cornstarch. Since I can get the tapioca flour
and cornstarch in 1 pound packages I use a package of each plus weigh 1
pound of the besan flour. Then I add 1/2 cup sorghum flour. I find that
without the sorghum flour it is not as nice. I have not had time to experiment
with other mixtures/flours. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that uses
this recipe and does modifications.
Note 2--If you don't want to bake these all at once then either put the bowl
back in the refrigerator or make a sausage shaped roll, wrap well and freeze.
When you take the dough out of the freezer let it thaw for a few minutes and
slice. Bake immediately. You will need a longer baking time.
Note3--this recipe makes alot of cookies. I generally make 1/2 the recipe and
it is barely enough for me and my friends.
1 cup (120 grams) chickpea/tapioca/cornstarch mix
1/4 sorghum flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger (I have measuring spoons for a pinch, dash & smidge.
Dash is 1/8 teaspoon)
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
From Mr. Dalcourt: For the challah go to
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking . Look for the second recipe
down in breads. I'm still perfecting the challah; however, a baker friend thinks
this is a good bread. (He misses the gluten chew!)
3 people recommended Everybody Eats.....If you can't get a recipe, this is a
terrific store that makes a very good challah - http://www.everybodyeats-
inc.com/contact.html  They're very small (a mom-and-pop, rather than a big
company) so everything's done one-at-a-time.  This is good and bad.  The
food's terrific, but ordering is a pain.  If you use them, order the challah so
that it will show up right when you need it.  If you freeze it, it's not very good.
I use Bette Hagman's challah recipe, but it's square. I can only make it in my
bread machine. I haven't had much success with making a round challah for
the holidays, or otherwise. Somehow, the dough won't stay up, but the taste
is fantastic. I also make delicious rugulach out of the hamantashen recipe that
I've posted online before. Google gluten-free hamantashen.
I've given up on making challah recipes. i've tried dozens and hate them all. I
now just make Pamela's bread mix and it is great.   I make it in a loaf pan for
Shabbos and in a cake pan for RH.
If you want to splurge you can get the Challah from Everybody Eats in
Brooklyn. You can google for the site if you like. For the Honey cake, there is
a recipe I saw for that (but never made) on www.recipezaar.com. That is my
favorite recipe site now - personally I just convert most recipes to gf. But
the  honey cake is called gf honey cake so it should be easy to find.Good
luck.
Challah--Have you been making your own bread? If you have a basic recipe
that you like then just substitute the honey for sugar (but add honey to the
liquid) and reduce the liquid slightly. Other things you can do is use little pie
pan shaped forms to make them round, sprinkle cinnamon in the pan so it adds
a slight flavor to the bread (a friend does this and everyone likes it, subtle but
VERY nice). There are challah shaped pans from someone but I don't like them
since the shape is too subtle and they make too big a loaf for just me. So I
use the pie pan shapes year round. Plus the round shape is good as a roll,
hamburger bun, etc.
We like Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread mix because it has a
yellow color and tastes challah like. I also like their Spice cake mix for Rosh
Hashanah very moist and tasty. You can look for a challah shaped pan to
make it in too at http://www.parkers-pantry.com
check archives or celiac.com or epicurious.com and sub gf flour...I use
conrstarch cup for cup in place of reg flour..It is great