Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:09:19 -0600

Like most people, I find store-bought GF bread unacceptable.  My next step
was using my hardly used and thoroughly scrubbed old Zojurishi bread machine
which my mom had given me 20 years ago.  Machine-made everyday GF bread
became acceptable for as long as a couple of years.  Then I finally ventured
out, trying different brands of GF store bought mixes, GF flour mixes of my
own, etc. until I have came up with this tried and true, easy, mindless
recipe with a little help from Gluten Free Pantry:

I use my bread machine to make dough only.

I use 1 package of Gluten Free Pantry “Favorite Bread Mix” for a 2 lb. loaf.
It comes with its own yeast packet.

I follow the recipe, using 2 large egg whites and 1 large whole egg. Using
more egg whites gives the bread an airy texture, more reminiscent of gluten
bread.  Unless you’re in a huge hurry, let the eggs come to room
temperature.

The recipe calls for 1 ¾ cup (one and three quarter cups) water.  My water
is always at room temperature, and I use bottled water.

I use 4 tablespoons of best olive oil instead of butter.

I add all the liquid first, then I add the package of flour, and make a
little well in the top for the yeast.

Make sure your bread machine is set for DOUGH.  Turn it on and walk away.
The bread machine does all the mixing and lets it rise once.  I believe it
takes approximately 1 ½ hrs to complete the dough cycle.

Check it towards the end of the cycle to make sure you don’t overflow.  If
you see it overflowing the pan, you can simply remove it at this point.
Overflowing or not rising enough depends a lot on the weather that day, just
like gluten dough, and other people can fill you in more on why rather than
me.  In the meantime, get out your 5 x 9 bread pan (I use a metal one, I
also have a glass one) and spray it with Pam olive oil spray thoroughly
without drenching, bottom and all sides, also the rim slightly.

Once you have your finished dough, turn the oven on to 350 degrees.  Turn
your dough out directly into the basted bread pan.  I use a large spoon.
You’re not going to get every drop, especially if you don’t remove the
paddle and pin first so just accept that.  Drop it in in lumps, then spread
it out gently to fill the pan in all corners.  Don’t press the dough heavily
or you’re pushing out air.  Now cover the bread pan with a large clean dish
towel and set it under a light, like your stove top.  Let it rise again for
approx. 2 minutes.  This 20 minutes or so will allow your oven to come to
true temperature.  You want an oven to true temp to make any kind of bread.

Once the GF dough has risen to about 1/8 inch from the top (too much and it
will overflow), remove the towel, make a light, long swirl mark across the
top lengthwise with a butter knife to make it look like butter topped split
white bread and pop the bread pan in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 or so
minutes, depending on your oven – everyone’s is slightly different.

It should come out smelling and looking just like old fashioned white bread
your grandma used to make.

I find this method far superior to using a bread machine for the entire
cycle.  The bread machine tends to make a loaf too moist, and you lose so
much bread from that darn paddle and pin, besides the loaf looks odd, not
like normal bread, and we’ve all experienced how sight can affect taste.

If you wish, you can sprinkle your flax seeds, sesame seeds or any topping
you wish on the twice risen dough just before you pop it into the oven.
This method can be used for cinnamon bread too.  If I’m adding dried
cranberries and/or nuts, I throw them in haphazardly while I’m scooping in
the dough by the spoon rather than add to the pre-dough mix – this tends to
overheat them and make them mushy.

Folks, I use this bread for everything you would use regular bread for.  I
make lunch for 6 people every day, none of them are gluten free except me
and they eat it and like it as sandwiches.  Most people do prefer the bread
toasted and sliced thin.  My 88 year old Uncle prefers it warm but soft.  It
is highly suitable to be served warm with butter or seasoned olive oil.  I
make French bread from this all the time, for which it slice it a little
thicker, dip it in egg and fry in olive oil, then sprinkle with powdered
sugar.  I use this same bread in stuffings or any way I would use regular
bread.

Enjoy, happy New Year and best regards, Dorina, near Galveston, TX