From:
Gina Bauman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gina Bauman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 22:41:29 -0600

Thanks to those who responded regarding my concern about the gluten free status of Nature's Plus Frutein protein drink; although it is labeled Gluten Free, I had read in the ingredients "young Barley leaf" and "oat bran."

From some of the responses I received, it sounds like young barley leaf is gluten free, as the leaf, similar to the grass, does not contain the gluten protein the barley grain does.

No one had any explanation for the oat bran other than acknowledging that oats in and of themselves, do not contain gluten. But we all know that other products/manufacturers that use oat in their products typically label them "wheat free" as opposed to "gluten free" since oats become contaminated during processing. So what is Nature's Plus' explanation? Still don't know. I emailed them and this was their response:

 "Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the Nature's Plus productFRUITEIN.  Your concerns and questions are very important to us. Experience has shown us that inquiries like yours are answered with agreater degree of satisfaction when handled over the telephone.  Wetherefore ask that you please call us at (631) 293-0030 or (800) 645-9500,where our knowledgeable staff will be happy to answer all of your questions. Sincerely, Vidisha KumarNutritional Advisor"

So I called; spoke to a live person and explained my question; she transferred me to another number where I got to leave a message and was assured I would receive a call back within 24-48 hours. Still nothing.
I guess my best course of action at this point is to stop using this and any of their products since at this point I cannot trust them, until they respond.

What interests me, though, is some of the responses I received were basically saying I was at fault for not reading the labels in the first place, even though the product was clearly labeled "Gluten Free". According to some of you, since FDA does not monitor gluten free status, any manufacturer can label something gluten free even if it's not, and I still need to read the labels. Do you really think manufacturers do this? I typically find the opposite is true, gluten free products that are not labeled as such because the manufacturers don't want to stick their neck out.

I bought this product (Frutein) from a Whole Foods, where they also put a label on the shelf to point out a product is gluten free. Am I the only one of us out there that assumes if it is at Whole Foods marked as GF and labeled GF then it is GF and I don't have to read the ingredients label?

Thanks for your responses and if I hear from Nature's Plus with an explanation I will pass it on.