From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 21:57:47 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I had several comments to my email about the bakery in Orland Park.  They are listed below.

One person mentioned that they also bake non GF items on the same day that they bake GF foods so could not guarantee no cross-contamination.

A second person found out the following info:

I have spoken to people that have eaten the bread.  First and most important, the people that have eaten the bread say it is wonderful and have had no ill effects from it.  Second, I spoke to the bakery to find out how they safely bake GF  in a regular bakery.  They consulted with a nurse on the needs of celiacs to have safe bread.  Then they don't bake the gf bread until after hours when they have stopped baking other things (they want to make sure all flour dust has settled).  Finally, they thoroughly clean the equipment and pans (they are the same equipment and pans used for gluten-filled items).  This person decided not to try these products at this time.

A third person advised of another bakery location.

There is also a Breadsmith location downtown Chicago, for those who live or work there - 1710 N. Wells.  I think they are on a different GF baking cycle, but you can find out by calling 312.642.5858.

Everyone will have to make their own decisions as to whether they try these products or not.

Happy GF Eating!

Barbara in Illinois