From:
Diana Christman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Christman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:33:45 -0500

Lots of help from everyone...thanks so much.  I don't know what caused my
inbalance, it was either the sugar cookies, or the  cortisone shot, the
pregnisone, or the way that  the guy in the health food store suggested I
take the acidophilus because he did it this way,  instead of swallowing the
capsule, he opened it and dumped it on his tongue, that way he could
dispose of the capsule in the trash....so I figure okay why not, so I did
it this way for about 5 days and that's when I got heartburn. However I
find this  hard to understand because of acidophilus killing the bad
bacteria.

I take NOW probiotics and NOW acidophillus,  (4x6). for about 3 months now.
It had been so long that I had experienced heart burn that I forgot all
about ginger and phazyme.  I now have a yeast infection in my mouth. I'm
taking Nystatin as a mouth wash, and Diflucan (2 pills) one this week one
next.

I called the TUMS people and they said that their lines have gluten on
them, however, one list mate said that they are on the list at gluten
freedrugs.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~em, not good.

If you want to keep it simple and clean use Ginger Root, this is where you
peel it and just kinda suck on it, or put it under your tongue.

 If you are burping a lot or have gas cramps, activated
carbon helps. If you are having reflux kind of heart burn, then a
substance I get from my natropath called slippery elm really helps to
coat things and keep it down.

Maybe look into why you are having it....anything new in your diet or
have you developed a new intolerance?

Probiotics are also great for preventing indigestion by increasing the
licorice tablets,
they are extremely good for heartburn, indigestion, etc.

small, frequent meals rather that a few large ones; do not eat for several
hours before bed; stay away from things that seem to irritate you like
tomato sauce, peppermint, chocolate, etc; raise the head of your bed;
exercise.

Zantac is GF, and maybe it will help.

If you are having trouble with indigestion that does not go away, then you
may have an underlying problem and should see your Dr. about it.
Things you might try in the meantime are to STOP taking the Tums and baking
soda! Continual use if antacids will cause what is known as the “rebound
effect.” Simply put, you take the antacid to reduce your symptoms, then
your body says “not enough acid in your stomach” and immediately dumps in
MORE acid.
To circumvent this rebound you need a product that stops the ‘production’
of acid and does not just neutralize it. Products such as Zantac or Pepcid
will do this for you. However, so far as I know only the Zantac is GF at
this time. Zantac is available over the counter, or in larger doses by
prescription from your DR.
Take care of this problem before you need a “big gun” medication such as
Prilosec! Esophageal ulcers are very painful and very dangerous. In case
you were wondering… this is the voice of experience speaking.
I have tried it in all forms: ginger candy, ginger tea pre-made in teabags
from the health food store, fresh ginger grated into hot water to make
fresh tea, etc. Just a thought. Ginger candy is available at health food
stores, Asian food stores, etc. Ginger tea and herbal tinctures are
available at health food stores.

I just checked pepcid on
www.glutenfreedrugs.com <http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com> it is GF.
Do you know if it is caused by high stomach acid or low acid.
Betaine hydrochloride is an excellent product. I use puritan's pride. I
believe it helps adjust the stomach acid no matter which you have low or
high. It has really helped with slow digestion. It is very mild, I use it
in the morning and evening. I try to take it about 30min. to hour before a
meal.
I use Zantac which in Australia is available either over the counter or with
a prescription

You may want to consider determining the cause of the indigestion rather
than curtailing the symptom. Some ideas are: food intolerances,
hypochlorhydria or achlorhydria, pancreatic or other digestive enzyme
deficiency, bacterial overgrowth.