From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:20:07 -0500

Dear Friends,

Some of you may have received the new "Basics for a Celiac Diet" page
from CSA as part of Connections to CSA leaders.  Y'all need to know that
some important changes have been made.

Canola oil is not mentioned (except where you might assume the
connection for "general recommendations for those with a depressed
immune system").  The page says "Some celiacs have demonstrated toxicity
or sensitivities to the following cereals:  quinoa, amaranth, teff."
Distilled vinegar is still on the "low gluten items to avoid" list;
however, CSA has always maintained that vinegar and alcohol are
"questionable" and  not necessarily always positive for gluten.  It is
helpful to ascertain from manufacturers the source of any questionable
ingredients.

The page does not specifically cite kamut in the list of grains to
avoid, which I believe is an oversight.  Those grains to avoid are
wheat, barley, rye, oats, spelt and triticale, as we all know are not
safe for celiacs.  There are a number of other changes, to the better.
Get a copy for yourself from your CSA leader or CSA itself.  I believe
you will see the page as part of the next Lifeline, soon to be mailed.

On the back of the page are recommendations for Celiac Disease Self-Management
Chart for the Clinical Diet.  I firmly believe that newly-diagnosed
celiacs should avoid ANYTHING questionable so as to give their systems
the best chance to heal as quickly as possible   (1) CSA is now
advocating a "self-management" approach to the diet, where the first
stage is to eliminate anything questionable --conservative approach.
Zero gluten is the goal. (2) The second stage is to develop good methods
for questioning products and controversial items/information.  Then
introduce new items, 1 at a time, at least 2 weeks apart.  (3)  The
third stage is to maintain a stable diet, using as many tools as
possible. There is also a sample Food Diary chart to use when beginning
the zero gluten diet to track your meal planning; be sure to include
brand names for reference.

This CSA GF diet is NOT incompatible with the new ADA recommendations in
the later stages.  We can use the CSA diet to start with, then use the
ADA recommendations and those published by GIG/CDF, depending on
individual food sensitivities.

Let us quit blaming CSA and contribute positively to the success of all
celiacs in all the groups.

I commend president Mary Schluckebier and the CSA board for attacking the old
Basics page to bring the diet "up to speed" in light of new information. (I had
nothing to do with the actual revisions to this page, although I sent
quite a few messages to Mary about the topic.)  I am much more pleased
with this new CSA approach.

Also, I understand the annual conference in October will be VERY exciting.
Important leaders in the celiac community have been invited to speak. Current
members of CSA will receive the conference booklet in advance.  Get on board!

I see a great spirit of cooperation and a gigantic leap of faith with
this new CSA board. President Mary Schluckebier has worked very, very
hard. CSA needs your participation and volunteering in many capacities.
If you have special talents to offer, do get in touch with CSA.

Janet Y. Rinehart
Former President, CSA/USA, Inc.

Chairman, Houston Celiac-Sprue Support Group