From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:48:22 -0500

The site "Gluten Free Society" (
http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/celiac-patients-react-to-gluten-free-bread/)
is citing a couple of very small older studies about the IGA antibody tests
of people who seem to show an antibody reaction to the gluten in corn.

The studies:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1819454
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0724163

They're loudly indicting products such as "Truvia" for claims to gluten-free
status while including corn sweetener (corn sweetener + stevia = Truvia)

Not that such small studies (one shows that only 3 in 9 reacted to corn
gluten) should have any weight in making policy, but I have to wonder
whether this is something we should be looking into. Have bigger studies
been done to disavow this line of logic?

My point of view is that people with celiac disease may well be sensitive to
other allergens. Does it really mean anything whether we have an IgG or an
IgA response? What are the consequences of a little belly ache when
something we ate sometimes doesn't sit right? Will a short-term IgA response
have a triggering effect to our other inevitable immune disorders?

Thanks,
Kit