From:
Margaret Goolic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 09:14:23 EDT

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about Flex Spending
Accounts (FSA) since my claim for the cost of gluten free (gf) food was
rejected.  Many people responded that they get reimbursed through their
FSA.  Some people who responded said that they got reimbursed the
DIFFERENCE in the cost between gf food and a similar regular food item
(an exception is xantham gum is fully reimbursable since it doesn't have
a comparable regular food item).  Others who responded said they got
reimbursed the full cost of all gf food (not just xantham gum) from
their FSA.  ( I don't know why or how some get reimbursed only the
difference in cost and others get fully reimbursed.) A few people
responded that they also got reimbursed from FSA for postage/delivery
charges of gf food.  Quite a few people who responded said that FSA
follows the same guidelines as what is tax deductible.  How to claim
expenses that are tax deductible for gf food is located at
www.celiac.org/tax.htm including citations (Revenue Rulings and court
cases).  I gave the info from www.celiac.org/tax.htm (including the
citations) to Human Resources who then forwarded it to the FSA
administrator.  Now the FSA administrator said they WILL reimburse me
based on that info, along with my Dr.'s letter and receipts.