From:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:28:24 -0400

With apologies to Joel, I believe there is a Vitamin K2. I urge everyone on this
list to read at least one of these two well researched and referenced summary
articles: http://blogs.webmd.com/integrative-medicine-
wellness/2007/11/vitamin-k-keeping-calcium-in-your-bones.html
 and/or
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/509074 - Read and decide for your
selves. Since I have both arterial calcification and osteopenia it seems like a
win win situation for me.

Briefly, there is increasing research that shows vitamin K2 can aid in keeping
calcium out of blood vessels (hardening of the arteries or arterial calcification)
where it doesn't belong and in the bones where it does belong. Like one of the
and the spine after taking vitamin K2 (the MK-7 form however) for 6 months.
At the same time I also increased the amount of vitamin D, but took only the
same amount of calcium I have taken for years.

The first article states also that celiacs, among others, are more likely to have
a deficiency of K2 because of their "digestive problems".

A word of caution, if you are taking any anticoagulants, like Coumadin, you
absolutely have to discuss it with your doctor first. Also do not take it at the
same time if you take fiber supplements but do take it with some fat, ie butter
on your toast or a oil based dressing on your salad. It's a fat soluble vitamin.

You can also google "vitamin K2" for more articles. Extensive research has
been done in Japan and in Europe (especially in Holland). But, except for a
few, seems to be just starting here in the states. Vitamin K2 can be difficult
to find but www.Amazon.com carries gluten free brands at reasonable prices,
at least two of their MK-7 brands run less than $10 a month. I've taken both
without any problem.

Pat