From:
Jean Lyke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Lyke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2015 07:43:23 -0600

I would like to know if any listserv members have had problems with diarrhea after gallbladder surgery.
I started having abdominal pain in my right upper quadrant almost 2 weeks ago – I felt a lot of pressure and intense pain and then it kind of eased up but the pain and sometimes pressure has stayed. I went to my primary doc and he had me do a sonogram (it did not show any stones in the gallbladder but did show positive sonographic Murphy’s sign (hurt like hell when the transducer probe passed over the gallbladder) and then had a nuclear HIGA scan – showed my gallbladder ejection fraction is 30% which is below normal. I was then referred to a surgeon – he indicated if he did surgery I would probably end up having a lot of diarrhea especially since I have celiac disease.  I was diagnosed with celiac in 1996 after years of trying to find out what was going on and suffered with diarrhea, weight loss, osteoporosis, etc but after really understanding the importance of being gluten free I have maintained a normal weight and usually don’t have a lot of diarrhea.
I have checked online the possibility of having diarrhea after gallbladder surgery and it can happen but wondered if the celiac would make it more probable.  I also wondered since I have had quite a few prior abdominal surgeries(hysterectomy, ruptured appendix and liver) if I would still be a candidate for the laparoscopic type of surgery on account of the scars and adhesions?
I would appreciate if the members would let me know about their experience and if there is a connection of celiacs having gallbladder surgery and lots of diarrhea afterwards.
Thanks.