From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 08:44:58 -0700

Thanks to those of you who replied for my quest to seek some info on CD and Endometriosis (for one of our ROCK members who is currently in graduate school).

Although I had requested that the info be sent directly to her, I did receive 3 replies directly to me... so here is the summary from those.  Thanks to everyone who

replied.  I'm sure this information will be of great use to her.  Thanks again, Melonie, Northern Virginia

Endometriosis is related to hormonal imbalances, generally involving  excess levels of estrogen. Women who take supplements of essential  fatty acids and the herb Vitex (chaste berry)  can restore hormonal

balance, in my experience. The relationship to celiac? Long chain fatty  acids are poorly absorbed in a damaged gut and they play an important  role in hormonal balance.

--  High rates of autoimmune and endocrine disorders, fybromyalgia, Chronic fatigue syndrome and atopic diseases among women with endometriosis: a survey analysis Human Reproduction Vol.17, No.10 pp.2715-2724, 2002 http://www3.oup.co.uk/eshre/press-release/freepdf/172715.pdf

My own endometriosis "disappeared' when I went gluten-free, and  Symptoms return (at the end of that menstrual cycle) when I have accidentally ingested gluten. I believe there is a connection between gluten and autoimmune disease In general.    http://glutenfreecanada.com/autoimmune/index.html

I was dianosed with endometriosis when I was 15 yrs old.  I have had Classic celiac symptoms since an infant but not dianosed until I was 37 yrs old.  I am a year gf.  My cycles just returned three months ago after the birth of my last child.  With these last cycles I have had mild cramping compared to the extreme ones before.  The bleeding has tripled for the first two days. Other than that the cycle seems average.  Have heard there is a correlation between endometriosis and celiac as with most auto immune disorders.  There is a great clinic in GA south of Atlanta.  A google search should turn up info on it.

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson