Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:00:57 -0500

Here are the answers I received.  I spoke with the banquet manager and
he said they use a brand of cold cuts called Block & Barrel.  I had
never heard of this brand, but it turns out to be a Sysco product.
There is nothing about the gluten content on the Sysco website, so I am
thinking that the distributors need to learn about gluten also.  The
banquet manager ended up providing me with a salad with grilled chicken
on top, oil and vinegar on the side - totally appropriate.  - Alice

GIG has 2 programs that may work here.  The first is the Gluten-Free
Restaurant Awareness Program.  This is for restaurants and the meals at
the hotel may be being served by the restaurant.  For more information
go to www.glutenfreerestaurants.org
The second program is the Food Service Accreditation Program.  This is
for conference centers and other type facilities.  If the meal here is
being provided by banquet services this program may be more
appropriate.  For more information go to www.gffoodservice.org.
--------------------------------
 From a dietitian who consults for Swiss Chalet Fine Foods I can ask
that their sales team leave a few ed pieces I have done for them. They are
a hotel and fine dining food distributor.

Let me know the name and I will ask them to follow-up.
-----------------------
I would imagine GIG / GFCO is interesting in this group as well as
restaurants.
---------------------
Great idea. I wish there was some sort of standard. That being said....

I have very bad experiences with banquet managers, whom I believe get no
training in diets. (We should write to corporations about that.)

I always insist (and the managers often give me trouble) on speaking to the
head chef for the event.

Most chefs at big places deal with gf all the time and know how to do it.
But make sure he or she is on duty for the event that you're attending, or
the instructions may not be carried out.

I also identify myself to whatever waiter is attending to my table and give
them the name of the chef I spoke with. Sometimes, the chef comes out to
meet me.
-------------------------------
That's precisely why we all NEED to call and ask these questions and
inquire about gluten-free meals at restaurants..  Obviously, no one has
gone there before you that has enlightened them to gluten-free needs.
Just think of yourself as the pioneer there!  I can always tell when I
go to a new restaurant if others have been there before me.  When I get
the deer in headlights look, I know no one has asked.  But so many
times they already have served others.  We need to plug along with this
so that eventually getting gluten-free meals will be commonplace!
------------------------------------
I live in Calgary Alberta. The Southern Alberta Institute for Technology
teaches their culinary students about cooking for the gluten-free
diners. In fact, they put on a huge gluten free feast every year for
the public.

I think that the best way to educate chefs, cooks and dining service
staff is to ensure all culinary schools in North America include gluten
free curriculum. For the current staff and cooks who are already out
serving the public, why not invite them to a Celiac Association meeting
in your location? Are you in the US?  Wouldn't it be great to invite a
good gluten free cook to your association meeting and educate the
hotel, restaurant and diner cooks? (and hey...the association members)
An incentive might be a free meal and a sticker on their hotel door to
say "We know about gluten free cooking!"
The only company I know that is trying to work with hotels is
www.glutenfreepassport.com <http://www.glutenfreepassport.com>
----------------------------------
Excellent point. I have stopped eating at banquets/weddings, etc and if
I have to be at a seminar, I take a salad with me. It is my impression
that there is little control over the food prep in banquet and
buffet-type situations and the chefs, even when familiar with
gluten, can not control what is being done when food is mass produced.
---------------------------------------
The folks at the Gluten Intolerance Group are working with restaurants
(including those at hotels) to help them catch up on the learning
curve.  But, generally, the hotel has to make the first steps in
reaching out.  Maybe you could be a liaison and help the hotel chef and
manager learn that there is help for them.  You can contact GIG at
www.gluten.net <http://www.gluten.net>.  They are very helpful.
---------------------------------
Yes, it is surprising to hear of a hotel which serves meetings,
conferences, etc. not to know about gluten.  Thank you for teaching them
something about it.
I find I have a standard menu in mind which is easy for most kitchens to
prepare;  broiled chicken, baked potato and a plain or buttered
vegetable.  Just about any kitchen can do that.
   But I have run into smaller, family-type restaurant chains or mom &
pop places in small towns which have nothing GF on the menu.  Sometimes
they can manage a plain beef patty and fries.  Usually they're both
greasy too.  But I can eat it.  Usually it's not much food.  Ir's hard
when  my table mates are enjoying breaded something with gravy.  But at
least it's food.
  I travel with peanut butter, honey and GF bread.  If there are not
small refrigerators in the room, usually the office will keep the bread
in the freezer as long as it's only a loaf or two, when I explain why
I'm bringing my own bread.
Good luck in your travels.  Call the kitchens ahead and maybe they can
have something edible for you if they can plan ahead.
I live in Los Angeles and attend banquets frequently at our larger
hotels.  In fact I will be a dinner tomorrow night at the Hyatt Century
Plaza.  I was at a luncheon last week at the Beverly Hills Hotel.  It
has been my experience at these large city hotels, that not only the
catering department but the servers, are very familiar with special
dietary needs.

I always call two days in advance to inquire what the menu for the event
is.  Often, like the luncheon last week, I could eat everything but the
dessert and they gave me a fresh fruit plate.  Tomorrow night, the same
thing.  Except for dessert, I will be able to eat everything and they
will serve me a fruit plate.

I have been told that even if I didn't call, I could always get a chef's
salad or a fruit plate or a plate of steamed vegetables.

About three months ago, I ate lunch at the Pennisula Hotel in Beverly
Hills and they even served me GF bread that was not bad.

I think that the major hotels in large cities that cater to meetings and
conferences, are doing a good job.  At least, that has been my experience.
Is there a hotel organization with a publication that could be inundated
with mail about GF?
You can refer hotel banquet managers to NFCA GREAT program at
www.celiaccentral.org <http://www.celiaccentral.org>.  Once you get
there, look for the GREAT logo and click on it.  GREAT is an online
education program for restaurants and chefs.

--

Please note that Alice DeLuca's email address is now [log in to unmask]