From:
Debbie Resch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 12:28:28 -0400

<smaller>Lots of people seem to really love meatloaf and so there was a
quick response to my post for meatloaf recipes.  Here are a few:

I included the email address of the person sending the recipe just in
case anyone has questions about the recipe.

Debbie

_____________________________________

From: dave fisher <<[log in to unmask]>

1 cup of Hunt's tomato sauce (GF)
1 1/2 tablespoons K.C. Masterpiece original barbecue sauce (GF)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin (10% fat)
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (rice flour or Bette Hagman flour mix)
3/4 teaspoon salt (I use less)
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon onion powder (McCormick)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine the tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and sugar in a small
saucepan over medium heat. Heat the mixture until it begins to bubble,
stirring often, then remove it from the heat. 3. In a large bowl, add
all but 3 tablespoons of the tomato sauce to the meat. Use a large
wooden spoon or your hands to work the sauce into the meat until it is
very well combined.

4. Combine the remaining ingredients with the ground sirloin -- flour,
salt, onion powder and ground pepper. Use the wooden spoon or your
hands to work the spices and flour into the meat. 5. Load the meat into
a loaf pan. Wrap foil over the pan and place it into the oven for 30
minutes.

6. After 30 minutes, take the meatloaf from the oven, remove the foil
and drain the fat.

7. Using a knife, slice the meatloaf all the way through into 8 slices
while it is still in the pan. This will help to cook the center of the
meatloaf. Pour the remaining 3 tablespoons of sauce over the top of the
meatloaf, in a stream down the center. Don't spread the sauce. 8. Place
the meatloaf back into the oven, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until
it is done. Remove and allow it to cool for a few minutes before
serving. Serves 4.

Dave (my son) found this at: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com Some guy
goes to different restaurants and tries to guess what is in a recipe
and then puts it to the net. They are great. This one was Top Secret
Recipes version of Boston Market Meatloaf. Before I knew I had celiac
disease, I had some of Boston Market's meatloaf. I thought this one was
better.

All the ingredients came from Tri-County Celiac-Sprue Support Group's
list of GF products.

-------------------------

From: [log in to unmask]

2 pounds ground chuck
1 large egg
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
2/3 cup g.f. ketchup
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix everything in a large bowl, shape into a loaf. Place on greased
baking foil inside a 9x13 pan. Spread about 2 T. more ketchup on top,
if desired, as well as another little sprinkle of garlic powder. Tent
more foil loosely over top. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove foil
tent and bake another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for
10 minutes before slicing.

I am able to find g.f. ketchup at my local health food store. I have
also used crushed g.f. corn flakes in place of the parmesan, but I
think the loaf holds together better with the cheese.

---------------------

From: "Stephanie Keating" <<[log in to unmask]>

I haven't made meatloaf but I have made GF meatballs, which are pretty
much the same.  I just substitute cooked rice for bread crumbs, it's yummy.

ground beef
cooked rice
a little water
onions
garlic
pepper
salt
Worcestershire sauce
cayenne

-------------------------------------

From: Sharon <<[log in to unmask]>

I use waffle potato chips in place of the bread crumbs.  I just smashed
them pretty small and use the amount that seems to be a filler amount.
I'm sorry, I don't have a recipe as such--pour and dump!!!!!!!  But, I
use catsup (or tomato sauce), onion, egg, potato chips, green pepper,
salt & pepper--then bake.  I usually swirl a little catsup on top.

-------------------------------------

From: [log in to unmask]

What I do is take some ground beef.  How much, depends on a whole bunch of
factors.    If I have some  GF sausage I add it,  If not I don't.  I add
whole eggs, the amount depends on how much meat there is - one or two eggs.

Then I season it with what ever suits my fancy at the moment - sometimes Ms
Dash, sometimes a cumin/chili powder combination, or oregno, or basil, or
what ever.  Then I add some sort of veggies or something similar to vary
the texture and flavor - olives, dried or cut up onions, tomatoes, peppers
[bell or mild chili] - or GF salsa, or similar  prepared combination of
interesting ingredients,  or what is the fridge or what suits my palate at
the moment.

Then, instead of bread I crush some white or yellow GF corn tortilla chips
-- usually unsalted, sometimes blue corn -- the amount to vary, adding enough
to absorb the moisuture from the other ingredients.

I then mix all of this up with my hands in a mixing bowl, shape it into a
loaf and roast it in the oven in an open pan until done, at a 350 or so temp.
I test it with an instant read thermoter to determine when it is done.  [160
degrees]  For the last few minutes I increase the temp to about 425 to crisp
up the outside. I usually let it "rest" for 10 - 15 minutes after taking it
from the oven.

-------------------------------------

From: Susan <<[log in to unmask]>

I have used my regular meatloaf recipe and used rice as the binder,
along with eggs.  It's even good with some cooked spinach added to it.

Susan

------------------------------------

From: "B. Harding" <<[log in to unmask]>

I tried Bette Hagman's recipe for Meatloaf from "The Gluten-free Gourmet
Cooks Fast and Healthy" on page 307.  My whole family enjoyed it. . .
Here goes:

         [These recipes have been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [they are copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

All of the above recipes are from the above stated book by Bette Hagman.
I have her latest 2 recipe books and I highly recommend them for a nice
variety of recipes. . . from breads to meat dishes and desserts.  I have
no financial interest in any of Bette Hagman's productions.

Happy cooking!!  :)  M Lulu in B.C., Canada

From: "Cam D'Angeles" <<[log in to unmask]>

The following recipe has no added gluten-containing products, and I serve it
to my family -- they love it.  HOWEVER, I don't eat it myself, because I
found out that the bulk ground turkey I buy for it at my local Stater
Brothers' grocery store here in Southern California, even though it is
marketed as 100% turkey, has wheat as a binder.  The '100%' refers to the
fact that it is all turkey and not mixed with any other form of meat, rather
than indicating its purity as a substance.  So BEWARE!

Meatloaf

1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
(option:  crushed garlic)
1/4 cup oil, preferably olive

Saute onions and mushrooms in oil briefly.  Then add to

1 lb ground meat (I use turkey)

along with

fresh cracked black pepper to taste
salt to taste
your choice of spices and herbs:  paprika, cumin, dill, rosemary, oregano,
   thyme, sage, cilantro

Bake at 325 degrees for 45 min or until done.  Pour off the grease while
still pretty warm, or it will absorb back into the loaf.

This is a very basic and change-able recipe, suiting whatever you have on
hand at the time, or whatever your own tastes might indicate.  If you don't
like onions and mushrooms, substitute chopped celery and onions, or shredded
carrots and leftover steamed vegetables.

Cam D'Angeles