From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 13:31:24 -0400

I tried an experiment last night using Nick Malgieri's recipe for a
wonderful Banana CAKE (not bread) recipe.  I used two substitutes for
the cake flour--cornstarch & Fearns Rice Baking mix and got two
different results.

The cornstarch was tastier, but the bananas were too heavy for it and
there was a heavier layer close to the bottom.

The rice mix was lighter, but blander and had an aftertaste.

My daughter and I, and the dog, too, preferred the cornstarch version,
even tho it was heavier.

Some notes on the recipe for us-- for the cornstarch version cut down on
the bananas to about half  and add banana flavoring.  For the mix, whre
baking powder is present, omit baking powder from recipe, but add baking
soda indicated (due to the acid in the buttermilk).  If you don't have
buttermilk in the house, you can substitu te soured milk (remove 1
tablesponn of milf from 3/4 cup and add 2 tablespomn gf vomegar) OR
substitute 3/4 cup plain yogurt.  I have found that to keep the cakes
etc from sticking to the bottom of the pan, not only should you grease
and paper the pan, but place the pan on a cookie sheet to distribute the
heat evenly.

One other hint--you can beat the sugar, butter and eggs together for as
long as you like in any recipe, but when you add flour, you should just
lightly fold it in with a spatular.  Overmixing makes a cake tough

With all that said, here is Nick Malgieri's recipe as is. Substitute
your choice of flour for the ckae flour indicated.  My suggested changes
are in (   )

BEST AND EASIEST BANANA CAKE

1 1/2 sticks butter
12 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup gran. sugar
3 larg eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 teas vanilla extract
(1 teas banana flavoring)
(1/4 teas fresh nutmeg,grated)
1 teas balomg powder
1/2 teas baking soda (see above)
2 1/2 cups cake flour (see ablove)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Presheat oven to 350.  Grease 9x13x2 pan and line bottom with parchment
or wax paper.

Cream together butter and sugars for at least 5 min or until llight and
fluffy.  Add eggs one at a times, beating well after each addition and
scaping down bowl frequently.  Add bananas and extracts and combine
thoroughly.
combine dry ingredients together and gently fold in ( You can also use a
pulsing motion with mixer)
Add buttermilk and  combine.

Pour into prepared pan.  Place on cookie sheet.  Bake about 35 min or
until tests done.  Let cool in pan 10 min, then cover with rack, turn
upside down and remove pan and paper.  Turn rightside up and let cool
completely.

the house smells wonderful with this cake--and the neighborhood, too.