Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 05:14:34 +0700

Dear List,
Thanks to the original poster for this excellent summary.

But please go get a large cup of tea and a hefty gluten-free muffin because
this is a long response and YOU SHALL NEED SUSTENANCE in order to survive
reading until the end.

"Gluten reaction" time, type, etc. is a compelling area of celiac
awareness to me. I was first semi-diagnosed a little more than two years
ago. A biopsy showed blunted villi & evidence of celiac, backed up by some
bloodwork. After going gluten free (and feeling MUCH better, especially lots
less tired) for a year I had another endoscopy checking for celiac and it
was negative. But my gastro has not committed to anything more than, "you
PROBABLY" have it.

Of course to be SURE (since going GF for the rest of one's life is a big
commitment, as you well know) I would have to consume gluten and get one
more biopsy. If it's positive again, voila, it's celiac, and if it's
negative, well, what? Only gluten sensitivity? Brief viral inflammation that
has since passed? Has this been a wild goose chase?

Thus far I remain gluten free. I have the hang of it. My family has
adjusted.

But topping all this off is the statement my gastro made last time I saw him
which was, "Celiacs who are GF and consume gluten accidentally or otherwise
are incorrect if they think they feel the reaction right away. The process
simply doesn't work like that." He explained long-term inflammation, etc. He
referred to other issues common to celiacs, esp. leaky gut, heartburn, GERD
etc. that might cause a 'reaction.'

I take such pronouncements by otherwise good doctors with the same LARGE
grain of salt that I use when they said things like, "Cranberry juice
doesn't help urinary tract infections."

So I combine patient acceptance of solid western medical science with a
holistic approach and am fortunate to feel good. I have to eat carefully to
keep weight on, but it could be worse. I manage celiac by weaving together
the bits of eastern and western wisdom that work for me. I realize everyone
is different.

However...THIS got my attention:

> Everyone reacts differently to gluten. The longest
> gluten reaction was one year, two people had six
> months reactions and several had 2-5 months.   Then
> there were those who reacted for a few hours or a few
> days. Michelle Melyn-Rogovin on the Chicago Celiac
> Disease Program told a listmate that a gluten reaction
> usually lasts about 6-8 weeks.

Whaaa? I turn to the collective wisdom of the list. This has not
been my experience at all...or at least I don't think so. Augghh, I'm
confused.

When you ingest gluten, how quickly do you feel effects? For how long? And
wouldn't we react LESS severely once healed?

OK. I hope you enjoyed your tea and GF muffin.

Thanks in advance and regards to all,
Patricia