From:
Claire Lazebnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:01:53 EST

I wanted to share a couple of things with the listserv.  First of all, we
went to an Outback Steakhouse near San Diego recently.  We had forgotten our
GF list and they didn't know anything about it, but we remembered enough to
know what to get our son (eight-year-old Celiac).  The one huge
disappointment: we had promised him the brownie sundae dessert (Thunder from
Down Under or whatever it's called), but the waitress checked with the chef
who said it had flour in it.  We were relieved we had checked . . .and even
more relieved that our son is a good sport who shrugged off his
disappointment.

He had to be an even better sport at his holiday party, where Christmas,
Chanukah, Kwanzaa and Las Posadas were all celebrated--each one of them with
a different gluten-y dessert.  It was unbelievable--panetone and Christmas
cookies in one room, Chanukah cookies and potato pancakes (made with matzo
meal) in another, sweet potato pie in a third room, and tamales with unknown
ingredients in the last room (possibly gluten-free, but no one knew for
sure).  The poor kid spent the whole morning watching everyone else gorge
himself.  Usually I do a better job of making him his own foods, but I hadn't
realized there was going to be all this stuff at the party--the list of
things to bring hadn't included any of it, so I thought they were just doing
crafts.  He does have a bag of candy at school which we dipped into for a
special treat and he was able to eat the applesauce and drink some apple
juice.  That was it.  On the plus side, he didn't get all wired and queasy
like the other kids.  It was way too excessive for anyone.

And the really good news is that I have the sweetest kid in the world.  He
didn't complain once--not once, not even when I said he couldn't eat the
potato pancakes and he had thought he could since he eats them at home.  I
told him I'd take him out for ice cream later in the day to make up for the
morning of deprivation, but I still feel guilty I didn't prepare better.

Just needed to unload.  Thanks.