Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:44:07 -0500

Orginal post:

I am 43 yr old female, diabetic and GF for 8 years.  When I first went =
GF I had elevated liver enzymes.
Recently been having severe pain under the right rib cage.  DR found =
blood in urine and ordered blood tests and an ultrasound.  The bloodwork =
came back completely NORMAL, all of it including cholesteral and =
enzymes.  The ultrasound came up with non alcoholic  fatty liver.  I do =
not have a gallbladder.

I have been GF , very strict and my blood sugars are close to normal.

Has anyone else had this and since I am GF is it at all related to =
Celiac?  What about the pain that spans all the way across the bottom of =
my ribcage and occassionaly goes into the back?

My diet is next to perfect.  Average 1250 calories per day with the =
right combo between fats, proteins and carbs.  Have not lost one single =
pound in 9 months with such low caloric intake.  It's frustrating.  I =
wouldn't even know how to begin to make changes in my diet to make this =
condition better because I'm already doing it.
I'm frustrated, any suggestions or comments?
Lauren in Florida

Wow thank you for all the replies I've never had so many responses before. I apologize in advance if I have missed something that someone has sent me, it's just so much to go though!

I first want to say that I've learned a lesson while posting questions to this group. It's best to be thorough about your questions and not leave out valuable information. I got a ton of replies suggesting I do the very things I am already doing.

I wanted to know if Fatty Liver could be related to celiac. It would be so easy to blame everything on celiac as I'm sure I have done in the past. I have come to realize not all stomach aches, muscle aches, dry skin, eye problems, concentration problems etc.are related to gluten ingestion or celiac sprue. Some of it, perhaps, but other people who have these issues and don't have celiac simply have these issues.

Some of the things I left out of my post that were suggested by some:

1. Many people thought the pain might be from some sort of colitis. I do have ulcerative and lymphocytic colitis. Have not had a flare up in 6 years and this pain is different and not affecting my bowel function at all.. Upper and lower GI series normal.

2. I do exercise on a regular basis with a personal trainer 2x week and cardio 3-4x week. I attribute my great blood sugar levels to the type of workouts I do. It's called "super slow burn" and the weight lifting is done extremely slow. Since starting this program I have been able to reduce my insulin by 1/3 and totally cutting out a morning dose.

3. I eat a TON of food as a lot of people thought it sounded like I was on a starvation diet! When I went on this quest to lose some more weight I didn't really have to change my diet a whole lot as far as the food I was eating. I just had to balance it out more throughout the day and made sure I ate more often than the 3 times a day I had been. I eat so many good foods, fruits and vegetables, carbs from healthy sources and plenty of protein and fiber. I just don't know how I could possibly eat a whole lot more. If one is eating healthy and feeling stuffed is there reason to add more calories? I will see a dietitian as suggested even though my Doctor feels my diet is next to perfect. One thing I forgot to mention is that I had previously lost 130 pounds probably 7-8 years ago and wanted to drop these last 30. Some people wanted to know how I knew I was eating balanced carbs, proteins and fats. First I went to a site to determine what might be appropriate for me.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm

Then I also joined a site that allows me to track every bite of food I put into my mouth and balances it all out for me. If I see at the end of the day I am lacking in one area or another I simply add that at dinner time. The site says it's free but in order to get the "extras" it does cost a minimal amount of money and NO I am not associated with the site at all.

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com

Other sites that people recommend for various diets are:

www.Fast-5.com

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

www.drhoffman.com

www.mercola.com

www.drfuhmran.com

A link for explaining how calcium is needed in the diet:

http://www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070917_350_105.jhtml

A link for explaining the relationship between good carbs/bad carbs and fatty liver:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=665500

4. I do take various vitamins religiously including a product called Livatone which has milk thistel in it for liver health. Liver Tonics were suggested by many people. Also suggested were to have my vitamin and mineral levels checked. Vitamin levels were checked but not mineral. Some suggested taking herbs and some suggested the mango stein juice by Xango. Which by the way I already do take everyday! I swear it's good for my skin but not aware of the other benefits it may be providing me.

Someone suggested IRON OVERLOAD and said there are 4 necessary tests: serum iron, TIBC (total iron binding capacity), percent transferring saturation and serum ferritin. Iron overload can be attributed to many things such as arthritis, cirrhosis of the liver, endocrine imbalances, cancer and many more.

5. Several people wrote about Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction which is a problem with the biliary bile duct. When the sphincter malfunctions it becomes overly tight and does not provide adequate draining of the pancreatic and bile ducts. The result is a pressure build-up in the ducts, leading to recurrent episodes of pancreatitis or biliary pain mimicking gallstone disease.

I was surprised at how many people have this exact same pain (9) as I do. Only 3 wrote about this condition the rest are anxiously awaiting my summary.

6. Other suggestions were to check the thyroid, pancreas and for arthritis.

7. When it came down to it only ONE person thought this was related to celiac!

Thanks everyone!

Lauren in Florida