Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:07:24 -0400

Dear List Mates:  As always your input is wonderful.  The message
below sums up everything and gives a link to a webpage that explains
everything in detail.  I heard from several people with DH and found
out that iodine indeed aggravates the condition.  "Iodine is a known
trigger for DH blisters, but is not the cause."

If you have DH or Duhring's Disease (both names for the same disease)
you are a Celiac.  You can be a Celiac and not have DH, but you can't
have DH and not be a Celiac.

Of course the main problem is gluten.  Isn't it always!?  Gluten = Evil.

It took anywhere from 3 days to a year for the rash to clear up, once
the individual was GF, depending on the individual that responded.
It was also suggested that many knew they must have accidently
ingested gluten OR overloaded on iodine, as occasionally the rash
reappears and disappears again.  One noticed that when she went on
vacation and ate fish everyday for a week, her rash came back
momentarily- for her the overload of iodine in a short period of
time, seemed to be the issue.

> Sure sounds like you had DH as a child. It is horrible that it took
> so many years to diagnose you. From what I have heard DH can take
> over a year to resolve. If you are having an outbreak please look
> for possible hidden gluten. Dapsone can help with the skin
> eruptions, but it does nothing for the internal autoimmune reaction
> to gluten. Dapsone cannot take the place of a GF diet.
>
> As far as iodine http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=179

I was also told: "The only way to know for sure if you have DH is to
have the blisters biopsied. "  However, I have seen enough doctors of
late and am certain at this point that this indeed is the disease I
was diagnosed with when I was 9 years old.

Thanks so much,
Yvonne
http://www.yaarglass.com/

‘Without art, the world would be a blank piece of nothing.’’
Comment from an Elementary school student