Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:32:33 -0600

Here’s the research I did on corned beef, as I have mild reaction (alas) to
corn too.  I found out that “corned beef” does not contain any corn in it
generally.  The word “corned” is derived from English Anglo-Saxon language,
meaning to rub with very coarse salt or other particles.  I googled it, for
others that would like to do their own research.

As I type, I have a couple pots boiling low on the stove with my own version
of “corned” beef at the moment:

1 any size brisket of beef – choose a fatty top as this imparts more flavor
to cut

marinate/rub in: coarse sea salt and a goodly amount more than you would use
for cooking, pepper, pickling spices mix (I have McCormicks on hand) or make
your own with cloves, sage, parsley, peppercorns, etc.  add paprika for the
coloring, about ˝ cup white distilled vinegar or lemon, lots of chopped fine
fresh garlic, thyme, pinch rosemary.  MARINATE anywhere from 12-24 hours to
five days.  Turn daily so it gets coated evenly.

When ready to use, dump water, rinse brisket in cold water and place in new
pot, with a little more pickling spice, more paprika for color if you like,
and add to your pot fresh cabbage cut up in big chucks so it doesn’t come
apart so easily as it simmers, carrots cut anyway you like them, rutabagas
or turnips or parsnips and/or potatoes, red preferably as it’s spring and
they are more fresh, also whole celery stalks with the leaves on them too
which is the best part.  Toss in fresh thyme and parsley if you have it, or
whatever other spices you like.

Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer about 2 hrs very low.  Boil the
brisket with the fat side on top to keep the meat more moist.

This is also what you call a boiled New England dinner.  Cut the meat
against the grain in thin slices; it actually makes a difference in the
taste.

Like I said, I’m cooking it now, can’t vouch how it’s going to turn out but
it smells great so far like the real thing.  I post this since it’s St.
Patrick’s Day tomorrow for those who have a hankering for it that it can be
made without the preservatives they add to it like sodium nitrate!!! And
nasty phosphates just for the color.

Serve with horseradish and spicy mustard for dip.  No gravy is ever used –
it is a Spartan type meal.  I’m having mine early tonite as I have a wedding
to go to tomorrow.  Mange e buono apotitto, Dorina, near Galveston, TX who
also spent several years in New England – gotta go check the pot!