From:
Andy Muschlewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Muschlewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:02:31 -0700

First of all I would like to thank everyone who gave me loving, supportive
advice.   I was at an emotional low when I reached out to you, as I am sure
you have all been there before. It is so hard sometimes to cope with these
many allergies!  I am resting more, eating well and lots and lots, and
feeling fine.  My son is noticing the changing taste of my milk and requests
a cup more and more. Maybe mother nature will help me wean this chi chi
monster!  Anyway, here is what you shared with me.  Good luck to anyone in a
similar situation. Have faith in your strength!

<<I wanted to say congratulations on your pregnancy, still nursing your
son and your dedication to keeping your family healthy!  I have celiac
and got pregnant again while nursing my 23 month old daughter.  I kept
her gf for 18 months and luckily she seems to be fine eating gluten so
far (she's 28 months now).  I just wanted to let you know that she has
weaned in the last few weeks as my milk went completely away.  She was
nursing about 4 times a day when I conceived - mostly in the morning.
Even I noticed in the last few weeks that my milk had gone.  Now I have
colostrum again @ 23 weeks.  I was so hoping to tandem but nature had
other ideas.  I just wanted you to be prepared so perhaps you can keep
it from happening to you (if that's what you want).  Just when I got
thru the painful nursing of the 1st tri she backed off and my milk went
away...>>

<<Keep vegetables cut up and waiting....Use a crock-pot...Soups are great.
Left over soup is what I make>>

<<Wow. This was my life 2 years ago. I also got pg when my first was 19 mos
as still nursing. Now she's four and I'm actively trying to wean her.... LOL
The Intolerable Ickiness that sometimes comes with nursing while pg started
when I was only 12 wks.....it was unbearable by 20. I had to night wean her.
The whole thing was very stressful and continues to be;/ I hope you're able
to nurse easily through your pregnancy. Easy Breezy;)

On the food front.....my kids (18m and 4) eat lots of dates, cherry
tomatoes, baby carrots, cucumbers. I buy preprepped bags of organic
brocooli, cauliflower etc at whole foods and microwave them for snacks. I
have a recipie for homemade mayo with no eggs/dairy/soy.....that you can use
for dips. We can do corn - so that opens up alot of snack foods - most of
them seem to have corn. though I'm trying to move away from that.

We use the amazing breads from Deland Bakery (just millet, water, salt,
baking powder -which is corn based). They're the best of the gluten free
breads that I've tried and I've tried them *all*.

Various friends of mine have cracker recipies, muffin recipies......we do
meat and veggie at pretty much every meal though - add in some fruit. grains
are condiments.....we shoot for "zone' ratios - 40% carb, 30% protein, 30%
fat.

I use the crock pot alot for meat, then do quick sides...

<<crayons and play-doh and all those fun things for kids that
seem so dangerous to mine?>>

no issues here with crayons......crayola model magic is GF......there are
lots of gluten free 'doh's':) out there. check the archives on that one.
You'll come up with a ton. I have friends who make their own as well. I
believe rose art and dream dough are both gf.....I can't remeber now. I let
Alana play with 'whatever' b/c she doesn't get in it in her hands or
face....and I don't let lila play with it at all b/c she feeds it to the
dog;)

also...www.itchekids.com has some great simple recipies for highly allergic
kids (read: recipes with 3 ingredients)>>

<<
You should contact the local La Leche League in your area for
information and support regarding pregnancy and nursing.  Go to the
LaLecheLeague.org web site for contact information.  And have confidence
almost all mothers are able to provide the nutrient needs for both a
child and an unborn child with a plentiful and healthful diet.

Angela, LLL leader>>

<<You might try reading the book "Nourishing Traditions" which really
gets into how to put together a good diet. It isn't necessarily GF,
but most of the recipes in it don't contain gluten either.

One mistake people are making nowadays is trying to get their
nutrition from grains, which just doesn't work well. Making sure
you get enough fats really helps. So does getting enough probiotic
type foods (which have more vitamins, plus they replenish
your gut bacteria so you can make your own vitamins).>>

<<With nursing and pregnant, I've done that.  I have 5 boys and the last two
are two which are twin 16 month olds.

Get sleep, get lots of liquid and take extra calcium, I don't do cows, dairy
or beef, I take and still do while still nursing the twins, KAL calcium.  I
take it more than once a day.  Get a prenatal vitamin and take it at least 2
times a day.

When you cook but some of it in the freezer even if it's a one person meal.
When I came home from the hospital, I cleaned out everything in my freezer
instead of waiting on others to bring the food.  Nursing twins is
demanding.>>

<<I'm nursing and pregnant and gluten free.  I'm eating a lot of meat these
days, even though I didn't used to.  I choose free range, grass fed meat
over regular organic.  I am also going to be buying some of the vital
choice salmon, as it is free of mercury.  I have a friend who eats a lot of
stir-fry.  I'm trying to eat a lot of green leafy vegetables and broccoli
for the calcium, but admit that I need to supplement with calcium.  I also
plan to supplement with probiotics and fish oil once I get over the nausea
and can choke down a pill or two a day>>

<<I think you would benefit greatly if you were able to attend the Gluten
Intolerance Group Annual Education Conference being held in Denver, CO on
June 6 through 8, 2003. They have a lot of information to offer.

You can see more on the program, by going to www.gluten.net and clicking on
the Red Dot near conferences, then when you get to the next page, go to
Valuable Downloads and click on Patient Program download.>>

<<I recommend Gluten-Free Food for Kids by Sheri Sanderson
www.woodbinehouse.com and Kids with Celiac Disease by Danna Korn
www.wheatfreeworryfree.com
and Special Diet Celebrations by Dr. Carol Fenster.www.savorypalate.com
Manioc Flour is also good. www.chebe.com>>

<<I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent GF
forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages >>

<<You can make Playdough with corn starch.  Keep it in a peanut butter jar
so it does not dry out. Hopefully there will be a recipe for it on a corn
starch package but if there is not I can do a search for the recipe.  If it
begins to dry out, you add a little water to it and put the top back on.  In
a day it will be as good as new.>>

Again, thank you, and good luck!
--Katie
Happily pregnant and nursing and healthy :)