From:
Teresa Roman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 15:55:08 EDT

Sorry this took so long to send this.....my puter at work is acting up and i
have a problem sending OUT mail.....

Since I have not solid proof that they are safe or not.....I have stopped
using them anyway, just my personal decision.

Here are the responses I have received:

I just heard the same thing!  I am celiac and also allergic to corn and
someone told me they are dusted with cornstarch too!  Please, please tell
me what you find out!  Nancy

Maybe it is the glue from envelopes, etc. I hear that stamps and envelopes
often have gluten in the glue. Also, this is relatively recent I believe,
but they are starting to do more printing with soy inks. You probably aren't
allergic to soy, but that is all I can think of. It's hard to know what they
put in products to make them--gets a little discouraging when some of the
things you would think are the safest turn out not to be!

Hey!  Me too.  Since I was in college, at least.  Could be dyes in ink
on cards.  Be interested in seeing what others come up with.  Sue

It's probably the glue.

The only cause I can think of is that they are using "wheat starch sizing" to
help to whiten and stiffen the paper plates.  This is an ingredient used in
watercolour paper for stiffness and whiteness.  Please let us know what the
stores say.  Mike

I can't go into Hallmark because of all the  things that have perfume
on or in them, I call them and they bring out the cards I choose and pay
and leave.  I have many chemical sensitivities

I can fairly safely assure you that there is no gluten in paper cups.  If
anything, that's something the corn sensitive might need to consider, as
most paper cups and plates are coated with a type of corn oil.  I would
imagine your card store problem is an environmental allergy and not a food
one...

Now that you mention it ....  yeah.  I totally zone out in a paper or
Hallmark store, and even when I try to buy office supplies at WalMart.  How
strange.But the worst place I ever zoned out (got dizzy and almost fell down)
was the bakery end of an enormous WalMart in California, where they baked
from scratch.

i all of a sudden a few years ago became deathly allergic to cedar wood. now
this happened before my celiac diagnosis. it was just all of a sudden.
remember allergies can happen to anyone overnight. who really knows. i think
it is just the body changing and maybe not so much celiac.
i would think that once we eat the right way with no glutens, then we should
be as "normal" as someone w/o celiac. no antigens should be produced  if
there is no gluten in the blood.

so i would think.  just makes sense if you think about it. why should people
have more problems if they are not ingesting gluten? i mean, i know some
people have years to heal, but for most of us we should be fine as long as
we are gluten clean..  no poison, no problems... am i right??
so my guess is an allergy to something. nothing celiac related. are you
someone suffering with DH? if so, then maybe it is the DH reaction, who
knows, but if you do not have that, then i would say allergy or
environmental reaction to something maybe in their air vents..