From:
CJLydick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:10:40 -0500

I seem to have developed a condition with adrenal problems where I cannot
keep enough salt in my body.  It is probably related to CD.
Has anyone ever taken this drug?

Many have asked that I give an update since my doctor put me on the Specific
Carbohydrate Diet.  It is a diet that is void of simple carbs, no rice, no
potatoes, no breads or sugars.  Honey is allowed, but I still can't tolerate
it.  I had GERD, hiatus hernia,  gastritis and supposedly irritable bowel
syndrome in addition to the adrenal problem.  I have become so intolerant of
foods that since going on this diet, I have found that I can only tolerate,
meat, fish and most vegetables, although the diet allows things like yogurt
(home made), nuts, cheese etc.  It has helped the adrenal a little, but I no
longer have the gastrointestinal problems after three months.  The first 3
weeks were horrible and I got so much worse, but slowly, very slowly I am
getting better.  The doctor told me that I had to stay on the diet for at
least a year.  That people with CD had a longer time frame to start to feel
better than others, who might see some improvements in the first 3 months.
Meanwhile he is trying to balance my sodium and potassium the latter being
too high and the sodium too low.  He also put me on some prescription
B-vitamins.  He felt that my B12 was a false reading.  (it was very high).
He said there is a difference between having B12 in the blood stream and
actually having the body convert it to a usable form that gets through the
cell walls to nourish the cells.  He feels that my body is not converting it
properly and so the weakness.  He is not sure if the malnutrition is causing
the adrenal or if it actually the adrenal glands.  By the way, I am
overweight and cannot lose weight, even on this mostly vegetable diet.

Getting rid of the gastro problems is a great plus.  My diet is BORING, but
much better than pain.  I have been GF since 1991.  I just need to get back
my strength so that I will be able to exercise a little and not get so
fatigued.

Blessings, Carol