From:
Justine Timko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:44:08 EDT

Hello,

Just returned from a terrific family vacation in Sedona, Arizona and  Grand
Canyon.  The sights were awesome and with the help of several  listmates, the
food didn't disappoint either!  Thanks to all on the list  who replied to my
request for info about celiac friendly restaurants/stores in  these areas.
Below is a summary of the info I received as well as some  additional finds I made
while I was there.

SEDONA

--Many listmates heartily recommended Pizza Picazzo's in  Sedona (which also
has other locations throughout Arizona) and they were  right!  My family
ate/ordered from there three times during the course  of our week.  They have a
wonderful gluten free menu with pizza,  salads, desserts and beer.  Fabulous!
The address in Sedona is 1855  W. Highway 89A, Sedona, AZ 86336.  Phone:
928-282-4140.   Website:  _www.picazzos.com_ (http://www.picazzos.com)

--Szechuan Chinese Restaurant Sushi Bar , 1350 W. Highway  89A, Ste. 21,
Sedona, AZ  86336.  Phone:  928-282-9288  --  This was a very nice restaurant we
stumbled on during our stay and I  highly recommend it.  (They also do
takeout.)  As soon as I mentioned  to our server that we needed to avoid gluten, she
immediately knew that the  brown sauces would not be okay and that the dishes
with white sauce would be  fine.  She also said that any dish that was listed
on the menu with a brown  sauce could be made with a white sauce instead.  She
was very careful  taking our gluten free order (we were there with a very
large group and only  some of us required gluten free accommodations).  Sushi, of
course, is an  option there too.

--In the same shopping plaza as the above Chinese Restaurant was  a very big,
well stocked natural foods supermarket called New  Frontiers Natural
Marketplace, 1420 West Highway 89A, Sedona.   (Hours:  Mon-Sat 8am-9pm; Sun 8am -8pm.)
 It looked exactly like a  Whole Foods -- the only thing missing was the
Whole Foods logo!  It was  even laid out and organized similarly.  Carried a large
assortment of GF  pastas, frozen goods, etc. and had very nice produce.  Only
thing missing  (of course) was the baked goods from the Whole Foods
Bakehouse, which I  love.  But if I had known about this place, I wouldn't have
bothered  to stock up at the Whole Foods in Phoenix, which we did upon our  arrival
in Arizona.

--Places that were recommended, but not ones that I personally tried,  are
listed below along with some of the comments listmates were kind  enough to
share.

    *Heartline Cafe, 1610 West  Highway 89A, Sedona.  Phone:  928-282-0785.
_www.heartlinecafe.com_ (http://www.heartlinecafe.com)  Very gluten  friendly.

    *L'Auberge, a French restaurant  (and resort) overlooking the river.  301
L'Auberge Lane, Sedona, AZ   86336.  Phone:  928-282-1661.  Very
knowledgeable and  accommodating chef and staff.  Well versed in allergy  issues.

    *Country Garden Bed &  Breakfast -- owner's son was gluten free for
years.   Provided great gluten free breakfasts.

    *Coffee Cup -- great omelettes and  they were understanding regarding
celiac.

    *"The airport in Sedona (which is high on a hill  overlooking the city --
fantastic view) serves all you can eat crab legs on  Thursday nights.
Absolutely wonderful -- be sure to make a reservation --  they fill up fast."

IN/NEAR GRAND CANYON

*"As far as the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, I ate at the main hotel  there
and did quite fine just asking the waiter and chef for guidance.  I  stuck to
the easy things -- steak, baked potato, veggies."

*There is also a Wendy's right outside the entrance to the park, as  well.

*Red Raven in Williams, AZ.  135 West Route 66,  Williams, AZ  86046.  Phone:
 928-635-4980.  "a place that  was very helpful and understood."

FLAGSTAFF

    *Mountain Oasis  Restaurant, 11 E. Aspen, Flagstaff.  928-214-9270.  Has
a wonderful gluten free menu which includes GF pizza and will make it to
order  for you.  _www.themenuplease.com/mountainoasis_
(http://www.themenuplease.com/mountainoasis)

      *Pizza Picazzo (in  Flagstaff)

Someone also suggested checking _www.phoenixceliac.com_
(http://www.phoenixceliac.com)  for additional  info.

Best of luck to all who are fortunate enough to travel to this part of the
country.  It is truly breathtaking.  And thanks again to all who sent  me their
recommendations.

Best,
Justine
NYC